right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Join us for a LIVE webinar Friday, April 3 at 3pm ET to hear from admission officers on how COVID-19 is impacting admissions at schools. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
Check out our newest addition to the Student Lounge. Go to the "STUDENT HERE: Ask Me Anything!" and connect with fellow students who can answer your school specific questions!
Cooper Union is rumored to release decisions today (4/1). Share your outcome!

Which university has the best education major?

zhi2022zhi2022 0 replies1 threads New Member
Could you give me some advice?Thank you very much!
10 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Which university has the best education major?

• AlwaysMovingAlwaysMoving 367 replies5 threads Member
    zhi2022 wrote: »
    Could you give me some advice?Thank you very much!

For teaching k-12 it's generally your state flagship.
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 7447 replies76 threads Senior Member
    "best" in what sense? for what purpose? for what budget? Those are seriously relevant questions.

· Reply · Share
  • CheddarcheeseMNCheddarcheeseMN 3597 replies13 threads Senior Member
    Also, where do you see yourself living after college? You don’t have to work in the same state as where you go to school but Ed programs often place their students ( as well as help them get licensure) in state.
    · Reply · Share
  • me29034me29034 1837 replies93 threads Senior Member
    In general, it’s best to start looking at the public universities in your state, not just the flagship. Most education majors don’t graduate from big name universities. Regional and smaller public’s often have very good education programs and also have connections in local communities for their students to get placements for student teaching which of course can lead to permanent positions.
    · Reply · Share
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad 33550 replies4192 threads Super Moderator
    OP, what is your home state? We might be able to make recommendations from there.
    · Reply · Share
  • StPaulDadStPaulDad 549 replies2 threads Member
    Most elementary and secondary ed programs are geared to get you licensed in the nearest states, meaning they teach to that exam, the student teaching experience is designed to meet those requirements and so on. The quality of the undergrad degree is not what's going to get you a license or position. If you want to set yourself apart academically that'll occur when you go for a masters or doctorate.

One other reason to stay local is to save some money. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this to you yet, but you're not lining yourself up for the life of the 1%. :-) And in many places your pay can be linked to your educational progress, so you could be expected to go on to further schooling.
    · Reply · Share
  • happymomof1happymomof1 30166 replies182 threads Senior Member
    If you know where you'd like to start your teaching career, have a chat with people who work in that school or school district, and find out where they find their best teachers.
    · Reply · Share
  • CaliMexCaliMex 2050 replies34 threads Senior Member
    Alverno College is worth researching. Fantastic program.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 81039 replies727 threads Senior Member
    Probably one within the region or state you want to teach in, since it is more likely to offer courses designed for the teacher credential requirements there.
    · Reply · Share