right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
STUDENT GUEST OF THE WEEK: Ethan is a burgeoning tech enthusiast who got accepted into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Duke, Brown. This week he's answering your questions on how to best craft your application and narrow down your college search/decision process. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Concerned about how to pay for college amid COVID-19 economic changes? Join us for a webinar on Thu, Apr. 9 at 5pm ET. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
Most of the decisions are in by now. Connect with fellow students and share support for those who didn't get the best news.

Where did the world’s self-made billionaires go to college? Here are the Top 10 universities

Dave_BerryDave_Berry CC Admissions Expert 492 replies2912 threads CC Admissions Expert
"If you want to become a billionaire, then maybe you should do what billionaires do – and that could start with getting a similar education.

Recruitment app Debut delved into the biographies of 851 billionaires and came up with a list of the universities that have produced the most self-made members of the exclusive super-wealthy club. Below is the Top 10, with the number of up-by-the-bootstraps billionaires each institution can claim." ...

https://www.oregonlive.com/education/2020/02/where-did-the-worlds-self-made-billionaires-go-to-college-here-are-the-top-10-universities.html
6 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Where did the world’s self-made billionaires go to college? Here are the Top 10 universities

• PublisherPublisher 10430 replies130 threads Senior Member
    After reviewing the Top 10 list, I no longer feel guilty about not attending Princeton or Dartmouth decades ago.
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 2078 replies33 threads Senior Member
    A very small sample size and a very select group. I certainly wouldn't read any general trends out of this data - "these are the best schools", or "schools not on the list aren't good".
    · Reply · Share
  • karen0karen0 175 replies31 threads Junior Member
    Also, HBS is listed with a bunch of undergrad programs. Where did the people who went to HBS go for their undergrad education?
    · Reply · Share
  • privatebankerprivatebanker 6428 replies127 threads Senior Member
    And second place with 40, is high school.
    · Reply · Share
  • daunt18daunt18 147 replies7 threads Junior Member
    These self-made billionaires made their money through innovation and entrepreneurship, not because of a college.
    Bill Gates' Harvard commencement speech (which he gave 32 years after dropping out) explains how successful people make themselves.
    · Reply · Share
  • MWolfMWolf 2206 replies14 threads Senior Member
    The list includes people like Bill gates, whose parents, while not Billionaires, were reasonably wealthy, Mark Zuckerman grew up in a very affluent suburb of NY, his father was a dentist and his mother was a Psychiatrist. I kinda think that they were pretty wealthy too.

So even though "self-made" is supposed to imply a kind of "rags to riches" vibe, what we have is more along the lines of "riches to a huge amount of riches".

up-by-the-bootstraps billionaires

Yeah, sure, "up-by-the-bootstraps".

Of course, according to "Debut" ALL billionaires a "self made". Every person mentioned by name from their list grew up in an affluent or wealthier family, but if their parents weren't already billionaires, then that makes them "self made". I guess that the myth that "anybody can be a billionaire, they just have to work hard (and attend the "right" college, evidently)".

I am not at all surprised that the most common school attended by wealthy kids who them became billionaires was Harvard. There is no better college at making the rich richer than Harvard.

"Self-made". They keep using that term, but I don't think it means what they think it means.
    · Reply · Share