right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Join us for a LIVE webinar Friday, April 3 at 3pm ET to hear from admission officers on how COVID-19 is impacting admissions at schools. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
Check out our newest addition to the Student Lounge. Go to the "STUDENT HERE: Ask Me Anything!" and connect with fellow students who can answer your school specific questions!
Cooper Union is rumored to release decisions today (4/1). Share your outcome!

Naviance

RockyPARockyPA 93 replies10 threads Junior Member
edited February 18 in College Admissions
My daughter's school uses Naviance to aid in the college search. Looking at the admissions scatter plots I can see there are certain schools that are considered "reach" schools in general (e.g. Cornell, Vanderbilt, GA Tech) that have never rejected a student from her HS with my child's GPA/SAT combination. I assume this would put these schools in more of a match/target school category for her. Thoughts?
edited February 18
43 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Naviance

• momofsenior1momofsenior1 9139 replies91 threads Senior Member
    edited February 18
    You need to dig deeper - What were the intended majors of these students? Were they recruited athletes? URM?

My D's Naviance data said that she would definitely be a "yes" for Michigan. She and the val were both waitlisted. We found out after the fact that no one from her school had applied to the CoE.
    edited February 18
    · Reply · Share
  • RockyPARockyPA 93 replies10 threads Junior Member
    edited February 18
    We don't really have many URMs in our school.... some athletic recruitment but minimal. Apps to Cornell for example... bunch of acceptances and rejections with considerably lower stats than her, and not one single rejection with her stats.
    edited February 18
    · Reply · Share
    edited February 18
    Yes, I know there is a lot more that is considered, but it seems students with my daughter's stats fare well at these schools... Her school does not rank, but my guess is she is probably 2/350 in her class. We routinely send about 15-20 students to the Ivies/T-25 each year.
    edited February 18
    · Reply · Share
    Apparently what you want us to say is that given no one on Naviance with her stats has been rejected to tippy top schools, she's a shoo-in!

I don't think anyone is going to say that.

And what high school gets *everyone* with super high stats in to say, the Ivy league? My son attends a "top" boarding school, and I see scattergrams for Harvard, Stanford etc full of "rejected" dots in the upper right corner. Extraordinary that *every one* of your school's high stat kids was accepted at these sorts of colleges.

Hmmm... I never said anything about “tippy top” schools like Harvard, MIT, Stanford, etc. They are surely reach schools for everyone and yes there are plenty of rejects with similar stats from her school. But the colleges I listed (and some other competitive schools) show no rejections. We are simply trying to build a solid match list for her and Naviance seems to be a tool to help do this.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 9139 replies91 threads Senior Member
    IMO, you are better off looking at a school's acceptance rate to determine if they are a match or reach. Cornell, Vanderbilt, and GT (assuming your are in PA based on your user name and not instate) all have sub 20% acceptance rates. That makes them reaches for every student.

· Reply · Share
  • monydadmonydad 7939 replies160 threads Senior Member
    edited February 18
    As others have alluded to above, Naviance does not ideally serve applicants to multi-college universities, such as Cornell, because it aggregates all the applicants and does not identify which college of the university they applied to. US News is similarly faulty, publishing aggregated freshman class statistics for the university as a whole, when in fact there are differences in the admissions profiles among the university's colleges.

There have been a few instances I recall where an applicant came here on CC saying they couldn't understand why he/she didn't get in, and then found out only after the fact that their stats, while above average for the aggregate university, were only average or worse for the engineering college. for example.

Maybe Cornell is a "target" school for your daughter in any event. I'm just suggesting the Naviance data may not supply all potentially relevant details to best assess this. Though it might be fine, if it turns out the college she would be applying to there is the one the others from her school applied to.

I would imagine/ hope her guidance counselors could supply more background.
    edited February 18
    · Reply · Share
    We are meeting with her guidance counselor tomorrow for my daughter's "junior planning conference" so yes, I will be asking her relevant questions in this regard. Just thought I would take a look at Naviance beforehand so I was prepared! We want to do some college visits during the spring and summer, so a good match list would be beneficial.
    · Reply · Share
  • sushirittosushiritto 4961 replies18 threads Senior Member
    Mwfan1921 wrote: »
    Maybe....but there's a lot you can't see in Naviance:

-The round of admission that the students applied in

Naviance will allow the user to click on/off early versus regular decision.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 3850 replies70 threads Senior Member
    sushiritto wrote: »

Only if the school loads that detail, which ours doesn't!
    · Reply · Share
  • 4gsmom4gsmom 853 replies29 threads Member

Ours doesn't either. That would be a very helpful piece of information.
    · Reply · Share
  • chaphillmomchaphillmom 117 replies11 threads Junior Member
    @rockyPA I'm glad you will have time with the GC to go over as well. Our experience with Naviance left me feeling like it really didn't help. S20 had great stats numerically, and according to Naviance would likely be a match to a lot of top schools. But then the reality of ECs, recommendations, essays, demographics, and just the sheer volume of excellent students out there made it obvious that it wasn't as clear cut as it originally looked. I think of it like applying for a job...I might think I'm the perfect candidate and that they wrote the job for me specifically, but I have no way of knowing everything else moving around behind the scenes. Good luck as you work through the selection process!
    · Reply · Share
  • CupCakeMuffinsCupCakeMuffins 1114 replies107 threads Senior Member
    edited February 18
    RockyPA wrote: »
    My daughter's school uses Naviance to aid in the college search. Looking at the admissions scatter plots I can see there are certain schools that are considered "reach" schools in general (e.g. Cornell, Vanderbilt, GA Tech) that have never rejected a student from her HS with my child's GPA/SAT combination. I assume this would put these schools in more of a match/target school category for her. Thoughts?

Naviance only shows part of the picture as academic stats hold less than half of the weight, hooks like legacy, race, major, essay, LORs, donations, geography, income, athletics, other extracurriculars etc hold more weight. If we were dealing with a transparent academic stats based system, Naviance could be more useful.

However, if your school is indeed some exclusive institution with no rejections at highly selective reach schools, you sure can consider those schools a match but don’t forget to add a safety.
    edited February 18
    · Reply · Share
  • CindyLeuWhoCindyLeuWho 307 replies8 threads Member
    Naviance only shows what the results from the students from that specific school were, and even then it only shows the scatter plots of the students who bothered to take the time to input their results.
    Naviance doesn't take into account extracurricular, location, race, background, family connections, and most importantly major, so it is not very accurate.
    It is a good initial gauge for GPA and SAT scores, but Naviance isn't very accurate for estimating if you will get in or not.
    · Reply · Share
    4gsmom wrote: »

Ours doesn't either. That would be a very helpful piece of information.

Yes, extremely helpful. The Naviance info provided becomes even less useful w/o knowing that important piece of info.
    · Reply · Share
    Naviance only shows what the results from the students from that specific school were, and even then it only shows the scatter plots of the students who bothered to take the time to input their results.
    Naviance doesn't take into account extracurricular, location, race, background, family connections, and most importantly major, so it is not very accurate.
    It is a good initial gauge for GPA and SAT scores, but Naviance isn't very accurate for estimating if you will get in or not.

One thing our local public HS does is to make entering Naviance data and "closing the loop" in Naviance a graduation requirement.
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks for the replies! I realize that GPA and tests are just a part of the story... but it is somewhere to start. As a top performing student in her competitive high school it just seems that the Naviance data would be somewhat relevant when choosing match schools to apply to.
    · Reply · Share
  • monydadmonydad 7939 replies160 threads Senior Member
    edited February 18
    The other limitation is the small sample size.
    On the one hand the sample is "better" because all the applicants are from your D's same school. so the grading for that particular school is taken into acount in the results.
    But on the other hand, it is still a small sample. So the results may not be highly statistically significant.

The results were what they were for those 10 (or whatever) applicants with those scores. But may not have been the same if there had been one hundred applicants with the same scores.

And as other have said these quantifiables do not make up anyone's whole application.
    edited February 18
    · Reply · Share
  • AlwaysMovingAlwaysMoving 367 replies5 threads Member
    edited February 19
    @RockyPA
    Your D's school sounds a lot like my D's school. Here are a couple of thoughts...

- You need to ask the GC how the data gets in Naviance. Self reported or required. If it's self reported it's not great.
    - Check out the "Learn More" tab under overlaps from a college's main page. There you can see the acceptance % for your HS to that college. Compare that % to the college's overall acceptance % and it'll tell you how much the college likes kids from your HS. For example Vandy is 11% for everyone and 14% from our HS. That's not a very big bump. Northwestern is 8% vs 23% and that's a big bump.
    - Ask the GC if your D is a competitive admit to different schools and gauge their reaction. Generally, they have a good idea about hooks and differences in major at a school.
    - You need to always be on guard for hidden hooks like a great background for essays, URM, alumni, full pay in the ED round, paid for top level college advising, etc. I like to ask my D why she thinks certain kids got in. "He's 4th generation to Dartmouth" and "he has a really high AIME score" are two I've heard.
    - Be honest and objective about your D's weaknesses. A 1600 isn't different from a 1550. An A in AP Stats isn't the same as an A in AP Calc BC. Being an officer of a regular club at school isn't a big deal. etc.
    - The more holistic a school is the more the scattergram will look jumbled up. That's a sign the high stats are less and less important, and the ECs and essays were more and more important.

As for the schools you listed...
    -GT is moving to more holistic review. Make sure her essays are solid and interesting. Female helps. From my D's school high stats females with all A's in math and a minimum of Calc BC always get in. Always.
    -Vandy is all over the place with acceptances. I think they have a lot of wants beyond test scores and grades. They also like the ED round.
    -Cornell is an Ivy so they get a crazy number of apps. They also have multiple schools and the standards are very different for each school. If your D wants engineering I would be very leery of the Naviance data.

edited February 19
    · Reply · Share