right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Bryn Mawr vs Smith vs Baylor University for pre med

coolmom2001coolmom2001 4 replies1 threads New Member
MY daughter has to decide between these three. Which is the best pre med program? Baylor she has good scholarship where as others didnot offer scholarships
11 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Bryn Mawr vs Smith vs Baylor University for pre med

• mikemacmikemac 10534 replies154 threads Senior Member
    edited March 25
    There is no magic in premed programs. Any college in the country can teach the dozen or so lower-division classes required to qualify for med school. Whether your daughter works hard for good grades, gets to know some profs for personalized letters of rec, gets exposure to the health-care field thru volunteer work -- these are all up to her. The premed program won't force her to do these things, they can just give info on what makes someone a competitive applicant. Plenty of books and websites do this as well.

The real thing to address is: why an M.D? When a lot of HS kids think of a career in medicine it becomes "I'm pre-med!" and happily embark on a track that will take 11+ years of school/training plus enormous debt. Doctors are far from the only ones in the health field that help people. Physical therapists, radiology techs, nurses, speech pathologists, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, to name but just a few. as you can see on http://explorehealthcareers.org Unless she's carefully considered the alternatives and has spent time actually working in a health care setting (which is an unwritten requirement to get into med school and is explicitly required for some other medical fields) its better to think of her as interested in exploring a career as a doctor rather than someone who has already made the decision.
    edited March 25
    · Reply · Share
  • oldlawoldlaw 324 replies14 threads Member
    A few things:
    Which school does she like the best? Students tend to do better in their classes when they are comfortable at their school, and GPA plays a very large role in medical school admissions.
    So what type of school is she looking for? Coed or all women? A large school or a small school? What type of location-Waco, suburban Philly, and Northhampton are very, very different.
    What's the cost of each school? Medical school costs a ton of money with few scholarhips/grants, meaning it's mostly loans. Any money saved for UG can later be used for med school.
    Have you checked the pre-health sections of each school? Sometimes-not always-these can be a bit of help. But pre-med is competitive everywhere.

All three are fine schools which send students to medical school on a regular basis.
    · Reply · Share
  • coolmom2001coolmom2001 4 replies1 threads New Member
    Thanks Oldlaw. Eo-ed or women's college isn't of too much importance. As far as what she is looking for are:
    1) How good is the pre med advising/ support system/ internship/research opportunities nearby etc?
    2) Is there a grade deflation in Bryn Mawr?
    3) Does pre med can join the consortium plan available for Post Bac?

If anyone has experiences with pre med programs in Baylor, Smith or Bryn Mawr is useful.
    · Reply · Share
  • college17013college17013 18 replies3 threads Junior Member
    Hi @coolmom2001 I am currently a freshman at Baylor as a Business Fellow major on the pre-med track with a biochem and a french minor in the honors program and thought I could be helpful in someway. I attended an all-women's high school in Seattle and also considered Bryn Mawr heavily in my decision process. In my experience, Baylor has been fantastic with pre-med resources. Pre-med students are required to take a super easy one hour class one how to essentially make the most of being pre-med at Baylor and you can become involved easily when you know the best opportunities. We have a very strong community among the pre-health students and if yourr daughter does look into Baylor, I would definitely recommend she looks into the honors for the other connections it provides in helping find the right things to get involved in. Freshman can do research here as can all undergraduates; the key is to form good relationships with your professors and look into what you're interested in to learn about it on your own a bit first. I couldn't be happier with my decision; let me know if you have any other questions!
    · Reply · Share
  • acwestacwest 2 replies0 threads New Member
    Hi @coolmom2001,
    I hope your family is happy and healthy in these crazy times. My name is Anna. I am a current junior at Bryn Mawr College with a French major and Psychology and Health Studies minors. I was pre-med my first two years at BMC, but my passions shifted to Health Studies/Public Health. That being said, I can speak to the amazing pre-med program. I loved the collaborative and welcoming program, but I can't do it all (even if I try at times)! The pre-med track at Bryn Mawr is great for anyone looking to develop multiple interests since it is not a major; I was on the pre-med track with a French major. This means that Bryn Mawr's future doctors are well rounded and the classes are inclusive to many different perspectives-- even those outside of the STEM fields. While our post-bac program is largely separated from the undergraduate program, Bryn Mawr undergraduates can work as TAs for the post-bac students. This is a great resume booster and learning experience given the prestige of our post-bac program. The undergraduate and post-bac courses are taught by the same professors too! Bryn Mawr also has an additional dean for pre-health and post-bac students, so students have many advisors including one who specializes in health opportunities. As a health studies minor inclined to do public health, Dean Glicksman has been so helpful at finding internship and graduate school opportunities. Dean Glicksman organizes internship, fellowship, and grad school fairs to help our pre-health (including pre-med) students. She also brings researchers, health-related alums, doctors, and NGO/non-profit resources to campus. A few months ago, I had the opportunity to meet the CEO of Partners In Health! Bryn Mawr also has the advantage of the Quaker Consortium. This year I went to a conference at the University of Pennsylvania: Perelman School of Medicine on Global Oncology. It was for medical students at UPenn and pre-health students at Bryn Mawr and Haverford. I also know of students who have done research in labs at Bryn Mawr, Haverford, and the University of Pennsylvania. In regards to grade deflation, Bryn Mawr is a challenging school but I have never heard of grade deflation here. Yes, academics are difficult but professors want their students to succeed. They are willing to put in extra hours, meet with you, and provide tutoring to make sure their students learn as much as possible and enjoy doing so. Please let me know if you have any more questions.
    · Reply · Share
  • DustyfeathersDustyfeathers 3571 replies85 threads Senior Member
    edited March 31
    A few other notes about BMC is that there's a collaborative and supportive atmosphere generally at the school. Unlike many top schools, it's not a pressure cooker filled with competitive students. Several of the exams are self-scheduled, easing pressure on students -- it would be rare to have, for example three exams on a single day. I can't imagine that happening. Though it's technically a "woman's college" there are men in many of the classes. This is because it has some grad programs and because of its historic relationship with Haverford. The schools are closely intertwined, sharing facilities, curricula, and a blue bus runs often between campuses--they are about 1 mile apart. BMC is a scholarly school where there's plenty of fun, but the parties happen at Haverford. That allows BMC students to have a choice about the atmosphere they need at any given moment. BMC students also can take classes at Swarthmore and UPenn. I hear also that during this weird COVID time BMC has been making some repayments of fees, slightly more than 50% of room and board for spring semester thus far.
    edited March 31
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks Dustyfeathers, acwest, and college17013 for the valuable inputs.
    · Reply · Share
    Can someone give some inputs on Brandeis?
    · Reply · Share
  • merc81merc81 11663 replies199 threads Senior Member
    edited April 8
    So Brandeis is in the mix?
    edited April 8
    · Reply · Share
  • LTmomof2LTmomof2 182 replies4 threads Junior Member
    @coolmom2001
    My daughter is a health science major/pre-med at Baylor. Currently a first semester junior so she has been in the program for awhile. We have been nothing but pleased with the curriculum rigor but also the support from pre-med advising. Please PM me if you have specific questions.

Great schools your daughter has been accepted to! Best of luck wherever she chooses😉!
    · Reply · Share
    edited April 9
    Sorry merc81 I did not get. Just wanted to have some inputs on all these schools
    edited April 9
    · Reply · Share