right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Top student did not get any desired college

khumankhuman 2 replies1 threads New Member
I am a student of Asian descent in Texas
Top student in the class-GPA of 4.0 (weighted GPA 4.6)
Several awards-including 2 scholarships, award for top student in class, Presidential award
SAT-1550
Was involved in a major charity organization and raised funds for it.
Got rejected from Northwestern, Princeton, Rice, Emory, Cornell, Duke, Yale, Casewestern
I am still at a loss why
Is it my asian descent? Is it because I was in a Hispanic dominated school. Several of the Hispanics in my school have got admission into a University of their choice, which includes several Ivy League schools. I have no problem with them getting into these top Universities, I just can't figure out why I didn't get a single of my top choices
Have got wait listed at Northwestern and Cornell-does anyone know what are my chances? Will my race play a role in getting one of the waitlisted spots?
104 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Top student did not get any desired college

• austinmshauriaustinmshauri 9735 replies371 threads Senior Member
    Those are all selective schools. Where were you accepted? Are any of those options affordable?
    · Reply · Share
  • parentologistparentologist 207 replies19 threads Junior Member
    It's awful. It's horribly unfair. I think you already know the answer to your question. I'm so very sorry for what has happened to you. You deserved better. You are worth more than this. Wherever you go, you will excel, with a record like that.

Now, you have to play the cards you've been dealt. Don't count on getting in off the wait lists. You could write each of the wait-listed schools a "love letter" demonstrating interest, but no one's chances of getting in off the wait lists are good. i hope that you applied to other schools, including the Texas public universities. Do you have any acceptances in hand?
    · Reply · Share
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls 6417 replies1 threads Senior Member
    I do not think that you can know why you were not accepted to these highly ranked schools. If you have paid attention to the Harvard lawsuit you would see that the process considers a lot more than just your academic strength. It is clear that being an American citizen of Asian ancestry does not help, but you cannot know whether this was more important or less important than other issues.

You are fortunate that you have very strong in-state public schools in Texas.
    · Reply · Share
  • theloniusmonktheloniusmonk 2880 replies5 threads Senior Member
    what are your other ECs and what was your major or program you applied to, that could also explain some of it. Being an Asian in Tx definitely is not going to help. As ucb points out, if you're #1 in your class, dont you have UT Austin to fall back on?

"You likely assumed that grades and test scores are all you need and over focused on just them."

Many kids, regardless of race, focus on test scores, you can't assume that just because the OP is Asian, he or she focused solely on scores. How do you know the URMs didn't focus on test scores as well?
    · Reply · Share
  • BenniesMom1BenniesMom1 243 replies3 threads Junior Member
    GREAT public universities in Texas so hopefully you're availing yourself of one of those options.

BUT, you asked a question... WHY? A LOT of people who apply to those top schools have similar stats. What sets them apart is what ELSE is on their application. Unless you didn't mention your list of ECs, I'd venture to say that the answer to you question is that your application is EC-Lite !! VERY.... . So that COULD be your answer ?

Good luck in wherever you land. I'm a firm believe that everybody ends up exactly where they need to be. It's preordained... but that's just me.
    · Reply · Share
  • suteiki77suteiki77 1019 replies3 threads Senior Member
    My cousins are at UT Austin and one is like you in terms of academics and both love the school. He really blossomed there and it is great to see. She super loves the school as well. Both are very sad to be home due to the virus because they love UT Austin. Their parents went there (and by chance or not are two of the most wealthy people I know with two of the best careers of anyone I know) and so did another of my friends, all of whom loved it. I'm sorry you didn't get in elsewhere. I do think that race may have had some part but may not have. The reason most people who don't get into those schools are not admitted is because nearly all the students who apply to them are qualified and so since this is true, it becomes like a lottery to decide who gets in. Just because you did not doesn't mean you are less qualified than others who did. They were just lucky. You can do every thing right and not get accepted. In fact, that is what happens to nearly all who apply to those schools. I would not overthink the 'why' of it. As far as state schools go, that is one of the best ones around in the US and I think you are fortunate to have that be your state school.
    · Reply · Share
  • SarripSarrip 702 replies25 threads Member
    suteiki77 wrote: »
    Eeyore123 wrote: »
    You likely assumed that grades and test scores are all you need and over focused on just them. Hopefully you were more careful with your writing on your essays than you were on this post.

I think we can answer him without assuming things about him and what he focused on. My writing ability as an adult is different if I am writing an application than when I post on a message board. No first, second, third drafts here. super careful and impressive writing isn't a requirement to post and that just feels like it isn't kind to say to him.

@suteiki77 - I could be incorrect but my take away from this comment was that it was not focused on the grammar/sentence structure but on the content and assumptions.
    · Reply · Share