right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

College Decision, which School to choose?

rv3000rv3000 9 replies1 threads New Member
Hi Everyone,

I have just received my last college decision from NYU and was glad to know I had a pretty successful application season.

Yet, with the colleges I have been accepted to I am struggling to make a choice. I am currently deciding between UT BHP (no scholarship), NYU Stern (with scholarship), and UC Berkeley OOS (no scholarship).

Some quick info:
- I am a business major, although I am not sure what sector within business I want to go into. I also have an interest in Econ, so I'm not 100% sure I'll remain a business major throughout college.

- As of now, I am interested in Investment Banking and Data Science, but again I am not - dead set on either job. I have a strong interest in entrepreneurship, and I would love to work on or with a startup during or after college, but given the difficulties with entrepreneurship, I'm not entirely sure if I will be able to.

- Location-wise, I don't mind the cold, and I love SF and NYC. I live in Austin currently so I'd like a change of scenery, but I don't mind living in Austin.

- For the price of these colleges, it is not too much of a concern and I will most likely not have to take loans to pay. Nonetheless, Berkeley and NYU are nearly the same cost which is 30k more expensive than UT per yr.

Given this info, can someone please help me make a decision. It's been eating at me for the past few days and after getting acceptance to NYU it's making my decision that much more difficult.

I might have forgotten to put some information so if you have any questions, I will be active on the thread to answer.
17 replies
Tagged:
· Reply · Share

Replies to: College Decision, which School to choose?

• saarinensaarinen 24 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Do you want to stay closer to home because of the coronavirus?

"A major outbreak of the coronavirus among air traffic controllers could threaten much of the U.S. aviation system's efficiency, revealing weaknesses in the Federal Aviation Administration's contingency plans."

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/25/coronavirus-air-traffic-aviation-147725

· Reply · Share
  • NJdad07090NJdad07090 624 replies8 threads Member
    If you are saying cost is not an issue and with a spread of 30K per year I hope your correct in that thinking, I would stay in state and go to UT, with you majors you may want to go to grad school so save the money for that, or if you want to open a business it is much easier to do w less debt. If you want a change of scenery go abroad for a year.
    · Reply · Share
  • Eeyore123Eeyore123 2088 replies25 threads Senior Member
    UCB is an easy removal. Paying 30k for a non direct entry program is risky.
    · Reply · Share
  • saarinensaarinen 24 replies0 threads Junior Member
    sorry @rv3000 I ment that comment to be a general post. New here. smh
    · Reply · Share
  • coolguy40coolguy40 2948 replies8 threads Senior Member
    If you live in Texas, then it's a no-brainer. You're in the business honors program at McCombs. That's a pretty significant thing and it's something you can put on a resume. This isn't really the time to go somewhere exotic. Right now, the economy is crashing, and if a parent gets laid off, then California is going to become unaffordable VERY quickly.
    · Reply · Share
  • Bill MarshBill Marsh 505 replies5 threads Member
    Business is one of the things that NYU does really well. You can practically walk from there to the financial district, or it’s a couple of quick subway stops to Wall Street. Internships are in your back yard. I can’t think of a better opportunity for your interests.

You have to come to terms with the “campus”. If you haven’t visited, it’s a must even with school closed. It’s not for everyone, although those who love it can’t imagine being anywhere else. In the words of Stevie Wonder, “New York City, as I live and breathe.”
    · Reply · Share
  • rv3000rv3000 9 replies1 threads New Member
    @Bill Marsh

I realize that NYU Stern is good for business but from what I have gathered, it is only at the very top for finance. For the other sectors of business, if I decide to go into them, I might be better off at my other choices - atleast that is my current impression.

As for the campus, I did have a chance to take a tour and I loved it, despite it not being traditional.

Would you say that the location alone makes it worth it though?
    · Reply · Share
  • rv3000rv3000 9 replies1 threads New Member
    Thanks to everyone for your advice thus far. I am still making my decision but your guidance has helped out.
    · Reply · Share
  • aquaptaquapt 2464 replies51 threads Senior Member
    edited April 1
    120K is a lot of additional money to spend for a school that you can't definitively argue is better than the top-notch business honors program at McCombs. Plus, as others have said, there's so much instability and uncertainty right now, both economically and in terms of ongoing pandemic concerns that could make being far from home a much bigger issue than it would have been a year ago.

I agree with the previous comment about Berkeley - its reputation is comparable but your desired program isn't direct-admit. I'd stick with McCombs even at cost parity - definitely wouldn't pay six figures more for UCB for undergrad. Housing is a struggle there too - the most claustrophobic freshman triple I ever saw was at Berkeley, and the student I knew who was in it was already scrambling to negotiate a lease for sophomore year - in October.

It seems as if your main argument against UT-Austin is proximity. I get why you feel that way, but... 1) You'll be amazed how college feels like a different world, even if it's right near home. Just set appropriate boundaries so home and school don't bleed into each other. 2) Pandemic concerns won't be fully resolved by fall. Being close to home could really be very desirable. 3) There are ways to get a change of scene - McCombs has its own array of study abroad programs, and there are always summers!

I'd suggest making a list of the things you would most love to do, if you had $120K to spend on anything you wanted. Then weigh UT plus your favorite from that list, against NYU Stern without that thing. I suspect UT wins.

P.S. Think of it as a case study in one of your future business classes. Might as well start learning to make sound business decisions now!
    edited April 1
    · Reply · Share
  • tchit87tchit87 153 replies21 threads Junior Member
    I am choosing UT Austin BHP over NYU Stern, even as out-of-state for UT. As much as I would like to go to NYU, I love the experience I will get out of UT and the freedom to pursue whatever area of business I want (students do all kinds of things there), which I think would also be attractive to you since you are not dead-set on one area of business. The funny thing is, UT BHP actually offers more opportunities for consulting jobs at top firms (MBB) than Stern. 120 people from UT go to work in NYC too, so there's pretty good odds you can land a solid IB/consulting job in NYC if you want it.

I also recieved no scholarship from BHP (really sad :neutral: ), but my family is planning on establishing residency the second year. I am really happy with my decision (especially because I would hate to choose to go to NYC during this time). Money was a huge factor for me, and I would essentially be paying 75k at every school I got into (Stern, Gtown, UVA, Emory) except for UT and USC (got a scholarship). I am so glad I had this option because if I didn't have it, I would probably opt for Stern and kill myself to get a Investment Banking job to pay off my debt. I know my parents are glad because our with the coronavirus, everything is uncertain: finances, career opportunities, internships, and even being able to physically attend NYU. I did not apply to Berkeley, but for the same reasons I am turning down Stern. It is far, expensive, and uncertain (getting into Haas is extremely difficult).
    · Reply · Share
  • sjd9021sjd9021 5 replies0 threads New Member
    Hey guys need some help with my college decision.

Got into UBC (sauder school of business) , UTOT (scar campus awaiting others) and UIUC for computer science and eco.

Keeping in mind Post grad, cost of attendance and job opportunities , could you guys help in clarity of mind?
    · Reply · Share
    Your comment should be its own thread so you get proper replies .
    · Reply · Share
    Post number 12 was for @sjd9021
    · Reply · Share
  • aquaptaquapt 2464 replies51 threads Senior Member
    @sjd9021 , you should start a separate thread to ask for input about your situation, as @rv3000 did with this one. When you do so, spell out what cost of attendance looks like for you at these schools, and what your goals are.
    · Reply · Share
  • HiToWaMomHiToWaMom 1486 replies19 threads Senior Member
    Congratulations on your sound decision!
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 8040 replies85 threads Senior Member
    Thanks for coming back & updating- it is really helpful to others & nice to hear the end of the story.
    · Reply · Share