right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Cal poly SLO vs RPI

NOOBjellyNOOBjelly 4 replies5 threads New Member
I just got off the waitlist at Calpoly after committing to RPI. I'm going into biomedical engineering and need help deciding which school to go to. I have done my research on RPI and have seen all of the Reddit drama and to be honest it doesn't phase me much. Most of it seems to be hyperbole and emotionally driven. That is of course not to say the school doesn't have problems or to discredit these students, I'm just saying it's exaggerated.

RPI seems to have a better engineering program, but Calpoly's location isn't something I can just pass up. Please try to convince me one way or the other.

Thanks!
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Cal poly SLO vs RPI

• happymomof1happymomof1 30579 replies194 threads Senior Member
    What is the difference in cost? Run the numbers: https://www.finaid.org/calculators/awardletteradvanced.phtml

· Reply · Share
  • NOOBjellyNOOBjelly 4 replies5 threads New Member
    @happymomof1 I forgot to say, I'm very fortunate to have cost not be an issue for me. That being said, RPI would be around 50k and Calpoly would be around 35k.
    · Reply · Share
  • happymomof1happymomof1 30579 replies194 threads Senior Member
    It really, truly is OK to prefer CalPoly over RPI. If you have any specific concerns about career placement or grad school placement, take those questions to the department that you would most likely major in and to the career center.
    · Reply · Share
  • NOOBjellyNOOBjelly 4 replies5 threads New Member
    @happymomof1 Job placement is not a concern. They both have about equivalent engineering programs, RPI just has a little leg up. As for preferring CalPoly I really don't. I'm being truthful saying I have no idea. At this point I'm asking for what you personally think I should choose and why so I can gather a better picture of each school.
    · Reply · Share