right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ak2018 is a rising junior at Virginia Tech having transferred from George Mason University. He'll answer any question, including about his studies abroad or his research at NASA. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Purdue vs Willamette fall2020

JagakaniJagakani 7 replies3 threads New Member
My son's final 2 choices are Purdue and Willamette. He wants to major in Psychology with minor in music. He prefers to go to a big school whereas I think he would do better at a LAC. Any thoughts on which is better for his subject choice? Thanks!
edited April 16
6 replies
Post edited by CCEdit_Suraj on
Tagged:
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Purdue vs Willamette fall2020

• JagakaniJagakani 7 replies3 threads New Member
    edited April 16
    I'm also a bit conflicted as we know people at Purdue, several of his school seniors are there but for STEM courses. We don't know anyone at Willamette.
    edited April 16
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 10205 replies119 threads Senior Member
    edited April 16
    I have a second year engineering student at Purdue. Interestingly she doesn’t know one person majoring in psych, and her circle is quite broad. Purdue is a very STEM focused school.

I also am not sure if Purdue even offers a
    music minor. There is a weird bylaw that they don’t offer a music major and I think the minors are very limited. That said, there are wonderful musical groups and lots of talent on campus.

I can certainly answer any general Purdue questions if you have them.

edited April 16
    · Reply · Share
  • JagakaniJagakani 7 replies3 threads New Member
    Thank you. This is really helpful.
    · Reply · Share
  • CamasiteCamasite 199 replies7 threads Junior Member
    Those are two exceedingly different schools with basically nothing in common.

The more comparable public university in Indiana with top music and psych programs would be Indiana University, not Purdue. Purdue does have a good psych program, it's just not known for music.
    · Reply · Share
  • lvvcsflvvcsf 2422 replies58 threads Senior Member
    What is the purpose of the music minor? If it's because he wants to continue playing an instrument Purdue has a lot of performance groups some of which offer credits to be a part of. My D played viola and wanted to continue playing in an orchestra. Purdue offered 2 orchestras (you auditioned) and they were two credit hour classes. I don't remember if there was even a music minor option. She loved playing in the orchestra. It gave her a mental break from the rigors of engineering.
    · Reply · Share