right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ak2018 is a rising junior at Virginia Tech having transferred from George Mason University. He'll answer any question, including about his studies abroad or his research at NASA. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

NACAC list of colleges with openings is out

Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 5375 replies91 threads Senior Member
Here is the link, sortable by state, frosh/transfer, financial aid. 708 schools on it today....more schools to come once their deposit deadline comes and go.

https://www.nacacnet.org/news--publications/Research/CollegeOpenings/
66 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: NACAC list of colleges with openings is out

• roycroftmomroycroftmom 4491 replies40 threads Senior Member
    Any surprises?
    · Reply · Share
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston 15792 replies1056 threads Senior Member
    @roycroftmom Lehigh University
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 5375 replies91 threads Senior Member
    Haven't looked in detail, but the 708 number is high (usually get to around 550 by end of May)....and doesn't yet include the schools who have extended deposit dates. Also 694 say FA is still available, also a relatively high proportion.

· Reply · Share
    Other surprises (IMO):

SCAD
    Miami Oh
    U Miami
    College of Wooster
    U Dayton
    Fordham
    RIT
    Union
    TCU
    USD

One would have to check to see which schools/majors have availability, Frosh vs transfer openings, as well as FA and housing status.
    · Reply · Share
  • kidzncatzkidzncatz 1131 replies7 threads Senior Member
    Lehigh has openings only for transfers.
    · Reply · Share
  • Sue22Sue22 6928 replies121 threads Super Moderator
    A few more looking for freshmen in the NE that surprise me:

Wheaton (MA)
    Hobart and William-Smith (NY)
    · Reply · Share
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys 4190 replies27 threads Senior Member
    IN -- Butler, Wabash, Earlham, Rose Hulman
    NY -- Fordham, Hobart William Smith, Union
    PA -- Lehigh
    IL -- Knox
    WI -- Lawrence, Marquette
    · Reply · Share
  • kidzncatzkidzncatz 1131 replies7 threads Senior Member
    @Midwestmomofboys Lehigh has openings only for transfers. I haven't checked out the others you listed.
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 11376 replies152 threads Senior Member
    edited May 5
    Furman University

Whitman College

Lawrence University (Wisc.)

Fordham

Rhodes College (Tenn)

RIT

U Oregon

Oregon State

Gonzaga

U Edinburgh--Scotland

St. Andrew's--Scotland

Trinity College--Dublin

Indiana University--Bloomington

U Melbourne--Australia

U Kansas

Kansas State

Lewis & Clark College (Portland, Oregon)

New College of Florida

U Montana

Montana State

Rollins College

Rutgers--NB

Goucher College

NJITech

U Alabama

Truman State

Mass Maritime Academy

Colorado State University

Juniata

South Dakota School of Mines & Technology

Southwestern Univ. (Texas)

Austin College

TCU (Texas Christian University)

University of San Diego
    edited May 5
    · Reply · Share
    edited May 5
    Thanks @allyphoe!

So many good schools on these lists, additional schools will hit the list over the next six weeks or so. Of course, some may drop off in that time frame too, as they (hopefully) fill their classes.
    edited May 5
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 11376 replies152 threads Senior Member
    University of Arizona

University of Nevada--Reno

University of Oklahoma

Univ. of minnesota-Morris

UNC--Asheville

Cornell College in Iowa (block plan = one course per short term like Colorado College)

Centre College (Kentucky)

SUNY-Geneseo

SUNY--Environmental Science & Forestry

Towson

Univ. of Northern Arizona

Lake Forest College (wealthy Chicago suburb on the northshore)

Susquehanna University

Ohio University
    · Reply · Share
  • allyphoeallyphoe 2547 replies61 threads Senior Member
    @Mwfan1921 The last two years, colleges have added themselves to the list as time went on, but not removed themselves. There might be one or two that were on in the first couple weeks but not there at the end. I would be enormously surprised if 2020 were different in that regard.
    · Reply · Share
  • MAmom111MAmom111 294 replies15 threads Member
    Do they have to have a certain amount of openings to be on the list? Do they ever publish what the acceptance rates are from this round? Wondering if any kids just forgoe the whole application craziness and just submit their apps from this list. Also wonder if it’s any easier to get in than it would be in the normal round. Also, they mention FA but do they tell you if they have merit money left?
    · Reply · Share
    MAmom111 wrote: »
    Do they have to have a certain amount of openings to be on the list? Do they ever publish what the acceptance rates are from this round? Wondering if any kids just forgoe the whole application craziness and just submit their apps from this list. Also wonder if it’s any easier to get in than it would be in the normal round. Also, they mention FA but do they tell you if they have merit money left?

Number of openings will vary. Some majors or schools could be closed. You would have to contact admissions to ask these questions, including the one about merit aid.

Some schools on this list never even closed apps, like U Alabama and Rutgers.

The number who apply and are accepted should be reflected on the common data set, published in the fall/winter.
    · Reply · Share
  • sushirittosushiritto 5360 replies20 threads Senior Member
    Crazy list for sure. Thanks for posting. This is always interesting to me.
    · Reply · Share
  • Luckyjade2024Luckyjade2024 669 replies9 threads Member
    Nothing should be surprising in this type of admissions year
    · Reply · Share
  • 2plustrio2plustrio 362 replies7 threads Member
    Peach94 wrote: »
    I work at a college who is on the list this year. I am NOT in Admissions (and I rather not say where for privacy reasons). From what I have heard we had a good deposit year - but would like to see it higher due to summer melt. This would have already been an issue with the new rules changes in Admissions (the ability to go after students who already committed somewhere else) but I think in the current climate even more of an issue. Might be the reason so many are on the list? Get as many deposits as you can to see what sticks in the Fall?

My college is on the list as well. My particular school is down about 5 fall deposits (we typically accept around 100 into the program). Overall Im hearing the college is down about 150 incoming fall students.
    · Reply · Share