right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Regret not applying to ivies...

DSNSW01DSNSW01 21 replies4 threads Junior Member
I received admission to most of my top ranked schools in the low 10s and high 20s, which I never expected to happen. Now looking at my application, I sold myself short and didn't think I could get into the ivies so I didn't bother. I applied to the lowest ranked ivy and got rejected. Now looking at videos on youtube, people got rejected by this ivy and then got into higher ranked ones. I know my stats are not great but the reason why I got into most of my reach schools is because my story is unique and ambitious. But I regret not applying to the ivies.... SO BADLY. It's such a crapshoot and I think I had a decent shot at a couple of them to be honest because of my passion project/hook. I am grateful for the schools I have gotten into but I feel so bad about not applying and missing this once in a lifetime chance. Ideas for what I can do? Is it hard to transfer to the lower ranked ivies?
26 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Regret not applying to ivies...

• bluebayoubluebayou 27891 replies196 threads Senior Member
    In answer to your question, yes it is hard to transfer to nearly all of the Ivy League. Cornell is the transfer-friendly, but mostly their contract colleges. CAS is pretty difficult.
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 11184 replies146 threads Senior Member
    edited May 22
    To which schools were you accepted ?

By which schools were you rejected ?

Stats (ACT / SAT scores & GPA / class rank).

ECs.

Anything else we should know about you ?

If you want an analysis / educated guess on your chances, the above info. would help.

P.S. Were you admitted to Amherst ? If not, then Ivies unlikely.
    edited May 22
    · Reply · Share
  • nomoodnomood 282 replies27 threads Member
    If you feel really bad about it, then you should at least try to transfer. Or if you want, you could even take a gap year to work and then apply again next year.
    · Reply · Share
  • merc81merc81 11676 replies199 threads Senior Member
    Regret, even a "greatest regret," can be associated with attendance at an Ivy League school as well: https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/10/15/charlie-baker-takes-proust-questionnaire/p2B2GsYFIUnYnVLsZCiX3I/story.html?outputType=amp.
    · Reply · Share
    edited May 22
    So ? He got 27 of 28 questions right. Not bad. :smile:

Plus, it seems like this was this political candidate's way of letting folks know that he went to Harvard--but that he's really just an ordinary guy.
    edited May 22
    · Reply · Share
  • DSNSW01DSNSW01 21 replies4 threads Junior Member
    @Publisher

Wellelsley, Middlebury, Colby w/ Presidential scholars, Emory, all the UC's except Berkeley, Tufts, and Wustl are the main ones. Passion project was creating my own clothing company from scratch.
    · Reply · Share
    @Publisher rejected from Swarthmore and Bowdoin. Waitlisted at NYU and UNC OOS. Declined both waitlist positions. My school doesn't do rankings, and my stats are decent but not that great. I think my hook was definitely my company.
    · Reply · Share
    Amherst ?
    · Reply · Share
    Deffered and rejected
    · Reply · Share
    edited May 22
    Also, your original post shares that you applied to the "lowest ranked Ivy and got rejected".

There is no obvious indication that any Ivy League school would have offered you admission.

Starting your own business is relevant for MBA programs & for undergraduate business schools such as UPenn-Wharton--but stellar stats are needed for Wharton.

P.S. Admission to Wellesley, Middlebury, Colby with scholarship, Emory, Tufts, almost all UCs, and WashUStL is an outstanding accomplishment, but does not equate to an Ivy League admission.

Amherst, Swarthmore, & Bowdoin were your toughest challenges and none offered admission. Doesn't necessarily mean that you would not have been ofered admission to one of the 7 Ivies to which you did not apply, but the odds do not appear to be in your favor.

Time to appreciate the schools which appreciate you. As noted above, you can almost certainly attend an Ivy League graduate school if that fits with your future plans.
    edited May 22
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 30256 replies59 threads Senior Member
    Congratulations for your acceptances. Good wishes for a great experience at your college. No sense looking back with regrets about this. You want to try to transfer, go right on ahead.
    · Reply · Share
  • aquaptaquapt 2419 replies49 threads Senior Member
    You can be wistful about not taking your shot, if you want... but letting that rob you of the joy of having six elite privates plus UC's to choose from seems like a foolish way to live.

Your pattern of acceptances does not suggest that acceptance at any single-digit-acceptance-rate school was likely. IMHO your results validate your application strategy very well. If you'd gotten in everywhere you applied, then sure, kick yourself for not aiming higher. But you got into your matches and some reaches, and got rejected at some reaches. That's perfect - it means you found the "bubble" zone where the decision could go either way. You calibrated your application strategy well and ended up with amazing, enviable choices. Isn't there at least one of these schools that you love?

This is an opportunity to purge this kind of second-guessing from your life, before you end up as the person who can't be happy with her partner because she keeps wondering if she could've done better.

Where are you going to go? Surely you must be at least a little bit excited about at least one of these terrific colleges...?
    · Reply · Share
    @Publisher @cptofthehouse @aquapt @juillet You are all true, there is no point in looking back at things I cannot change. And there is no clear indication whatsoever that I would have gotten into any ivy, but I am angry at myself for not trying because my college decisions came out better than I expected. This is all I have been thinking about for the past couple of days
    · Reply · Share
  • MWolfMWolf 2392 replies14 threads Senior Member
    DSNSW01 wrote: »
    I received admission to most of my top ranked schools in the low 10s and high 20s, which I never expected to happen. Now looking at my application, I sold myself short and didn't think I could get into the ivies so I didn't bother. I applied to the lowest ranked ivy and got rejected. Now looking at videos on youtube, people got rejected by this ivy and then got into higher ranked ones. I know my stats are not great but the reason why I got into most of my reach schools is because my story is unique and ambitious. But I regret not applying to the ivies.... SO BADLY. It's such a crapshoot and I think I had a decent shot at a couple of them to be honest because of my passion project/hook. I am grateful for the schools I have gotten into but I feel so bad about not applying and missing this once in a lifetime chance. Ideas for what I can do? Is it hard to transfer to the lower ranked ivies?

This is the second thread that you have started stating your regrets about past decisions. That looks like something that you may do much too often.

You applied the right colleges, were accepted to the right colleges, and will attend the right college.

Your life will be made up of many many decisions. In most cases, your decision will be a right one. Not THE right one, but A right one. There are always multiple choices which will work very well for you. There is NEVER any reason to regret any choice unless you see that it is not working out for you. Even then, you should see if you can make it work, or find a way to fix it.

Every one of your acceptances is an amazing college, and each and every one of them will provide the same level of education, and provide the same level of opportunities.

Aside from the futility of regrets, there is absolutely no reason to believe that attending an Ivy would help you achieve your life goals more than attending one of the colleges to which you were accepted. Moreover, it is more likely than not that you would have been rejected from every Ivy League college to which you would have applied.

In all honesty, I think that, had you applied to any Ivies, you would either have had a few more rejections, which are not a happy thing to get, or, in the best case, you would have another few choices over which you would agonize, and likely regret, if you chose them.

You made the right choice not applying to any Ivies - you stress yourself out enough, and do not need any more ways to add to that stress.

You are going to a great college, where you will do extremely well, and have a great four years. These years will help you set you up on any of the many paths that you wish to follow.

Congratulations and good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • Bill MarshBill Marsh 502 replies5 threads Member
    @Publisher @cptofthehouse @aquapt @juillet You are all true, there is no point in looking back at things I cannot change. And there is no clear indication whatsoever that I would have gotten into any ivy, but I am angry at myself for not trying because my college decisions came out better than I expected. This is all I have been thinking about for the past couple of days

What are your long term goals?
    · Reply · Share
  • Bill MarshBill Marsh 502 replies5 threads Member

What are your long term goals?

Regardless of where you go or might have gone, why do you want to go to go to college? You already have a successful business, so what’s the point of it all?

· Reply · Share