right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ak2018 is a rising junior at Virginia Tech having transferred from George Mason University. He'll answer any question, including about his studies abroad or his research at NASA. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Colleges like Middlebury

Diaz42Diaz42 62 replies3 threads Junior Member
Hi I'm a rising senior. I recently did the online informational session for Middlebury and absolutely LOVED it. I am looking for colleges that are similar to Middlebury.

Here are my stats before someone asks:
SAT: 1580
GPA: 4.0 UW (doesn't weight any classes, nor class rank)
NMF: Not a national merit finalist or semifinalist

APs: AP Human Geo (5), AP Psych (5), Taking APES, APUSH, AP Lang this year, Taking AP Bio, AP Calc BC, AP Euro next year

Here are some of my achievements:
-Part of famous summer program (one at MIT)
-Has won a few national competitions (trying to keep this ambiguous, but STEM related)
-Published Environmental science research with T20 university

Middlebury is a reach school and is highly selective, so I am kinda looking for some schools that are similar (to fill up my reach category). In addition, if you have some schools similar but are matches or safeties, feel free to let me know.

Thanks in advance and let me know if you have any questions.
edited June 19
129 replies
Post edited by CCAdmin_Vic on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Colleges like Middlebury

• helpingmom40helpingmom40 250 replies7 threads Junior Member
    What are you looking at majoring in? What did you like specifically? My D really liked and applied to Midd and the rest of the schools she visited and applied to all shared similar characteristics. Some were just different enough in one or two areas to turn her off completely so if you know what you’re trying to find that might be helpful.
    · Reply · Share
  • Diaz42Diaz42 62 replies3 threads Junior Member
    Hi helpingmom40, thanks for responding. I hope to go into environmental studies at Middlebury. My other academic interests are geology, physics, and history. I really like the strong emphasis on sustainability. In addition, the rural location and diversity among the student body are big draws for me. The focus on study abroad as well is nice. I like LACs in general and the ability to be inside nature.
    · Reply · Share
  • warblersrulewarblersrule 10235 replies176 threads Super Moderator
    Skidmore, Hobart & William Smith, and St. Lawrence are a few less selective options that come mind.

Check out Allegheny and Conn College as well if you're interested in environmental science. Juniata has an excellent program as well and would likely offer merit aid.
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks warblersrule. I will definitely look into those options.
    · Reply · Share
    I was browsing the HWS website and saw that they do give merit aid out. How competitive are the full tuition scholarships at HWS?
    · Reply · Share
    Also is HWS a safety or match based on my stats?
    · Reply · Share
  • helpingmom40helpingmom40 250 replies7 threads Junior Member
    The first college my D toured was a LAC and she decided right then that was what she was looking for. I agree with Skidmore, Conn and HWS. I would also suggest looking at Bard and Hamilton. My D applied ED at that first school, was accepted and had to withdraw her other applications so I am also going to shamelessly plug Colgate. It was the first college in the state of NY to achieve carbon neutrality, has a great outdoor education department, and she found it to be more diverse in person than it looks on paper.
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 11376 replies152 threads Senior Member
    edited May 26
    1580 SAT / perfect 4.0 unweighted GPA / won a few national STEM competitions / published research

Not safeties: Williams College, Bowdoin College, & Dartmouth College.

Consider applying ED I or ED II.
    edited May 26
    · Reply · Share
    Thank you Publisher and helpingmom40.
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 11376 replies152 threads Senior Member
    I suspect that you will also like Colgate University as well as Davidson College in North Carolina.

My concern with some of the other schools recommended in this thread is the lack of academic talent in the student bodies relative to your accomplishments.
    · Reply · Share
  • twotoschooltwotoschool 26 replies2 threads Junior Member
    NESCAC Member Institutions
    The New England Small College Athletic Conference is the home to 11 private colleges and universities located throughout New England and New York.

Amherst College

Bates College

Bowdoin College

Colby College

Connecticut College

Hamilton College

Middlebury College

Trinity College

Tufts University

Wesleyan University

Williams College
    · Reply · Share
  • baeriabaeria 57 replies1 threads Junior Member
    I second Williams. If you apply ED to Williams, I'd say you would have a fair shot at admissions.
    · Reply · Share
  • baeriabaeria 57 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Also, Conn College offers Environmental Engineering as a major. You should look into that department.
    · Reply · Share
  • theloniusmonktheloniusmonk 2990 replies5 threads Senior Member
    "Has won a few national competitions (trying to keep this ambiguous, but STEM related)"

You may be underplaying these but those are very significant for the colleges you're interested in, especially if it's intel or olympiads. Do you want to stay in the northeast or would you consider other LACs - Pomona, Grinnell, Macalester etc? Also any hooks?
    · Reply · Share
    @theloniusmonk Yes, one of the National competitions is a STEM olympiad. Is this considered a hook? Besides that, I don't have any hooks. Also I'm fine with anywhere in the country. Pomona and Grinnell in particular caught my eye, but are high reach schools.
    · Reply · Share
  • cinnamon1212cinnamon1212 1179 replies9 threads Senior Member
    In normal (noncovid) times, I would guess you would get merit aid at Hobart, St. Lawrence, Connecticut College, Skidmore, and that the first 3 would be safeties for you. I am just a parent not a college counselor, but have had 2 kids already go through the college process, applying to some of these schools.
    · Reply · Share
    Hi cinnamon1212, thanks for the advice.
    · Reply · Share
  • merc81merc81 11810 replies201 threads Senior Member
    edited May 26
    Conn College offers Environmental Engineering as a major.
    Note that Conn's (interesting) program requires an off-campus year at WPI: https://www.conncoll.edu/academics/majors-departments-programs/majors-and-minors/environmental-engineering-studies/.

Grinnell
    Grinnell lacks a geosciences major, however.
    edited May 26
    · Reply · Share
  • retiredfarmerretiredfarmer 1259 replies3 threads Senior Member
    edited May 26
    Many good choices here. Colby comes to mind as you like the country. As a retired farmer, not too far from Colby, I can vouch that Colby is truly in the country. Their big sport is skiing.

As they accept about 13% of applicants, it is more in the "reach" category. They have a range of environmental majors:
    Environmental Computation
    Study human impacts on the environment and solutions to promote environmental sustainability.
    Environmental Policy
    Environmental Science
    Environmental Studies

edited May 26
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks merc81 and retiredfarmer. The Conn College partner program sounds cool, and WPI is another school I am currently looking at. Colby sounds like a good fit for me
    · Reply · Share