right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

UCSB vs Syracuse

inlovewithstylesinlovewithstyles 2 replies2 threads New Member
Hey guys!!
I am about to start my second year at a CC in California, and getting ready to transfer soon. I am a political science major, and deciding between (hopefully, but likely) attending either UCSB or Syracuse in New York. If anyone has experience just transferring to either school or being a poli sci major there, please feel free to tell me how you like it! Anything will be helpful. Thanks so much :)
edited July 7
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: UCSB vs Syracuse

• WildestDreamWildestDream 455 replies4 threads Member
    edited July 7
    UCSB is the stronger school academically. If cost is a consideration or if you want to work in the west coast long term, I would go there.
    edited July 7
    · Reply · Share
  • user_678320user_678320 5 replies3 threads New Member
    In-State tuition for UCSB sounds like a great offer. Apart from that, if the weather is any consideration, UCSB weather is absolutely GORGEOUS! One of my best friends goes to UCSB, so I tend to go often to visit her and she absolutely loved it, though she was in CS.
    What are your reasons for wanting to go to Syracuse? Also, is there a reason specifically those two programs?
    Regardless, I'm around as long as you need, so feel free to reply if you want to talk.
    · Reply · Share
  • DustyfeathersDustyfeathers 3675 replies85 threads Senior Member
    Yes, what are your reasons for Syracuse? UCSB is by far the better school, cheaper tuition, great weather, gorgeous location, and seems more stable (all things change but ... )

Lately Syracuse has been rocked by racism issues--someone reporting racism sent I believe via phones and the uproar was so inflamed that the school canceled classes. It also is extremely expensive and the president recently tacked on an additional bill for all students. I can't remember the exact amount but it was something like $1400 per student across the board. This is an already expensive school. Syracuse has many fine programs. If you are intent on one program that it offers then perhaps keep this one on your list, but if you were my child I'd suggest looking at other schools if you're interested generally in the school.
    · Reply · Share
  • inlovewithstylesinlovewithstyles 2 replies2 threads New Member
    Hey! Thanks so much for a response. My main interest in Syracuse really was just the experience of living on the east coast. I was not aware about the racism going on at Syracuse, as as a POC I definitely want to steer clear from it. UCSB is looking better and better!
    · Reply · Share
  • inlovewithstylesinlovewithstyles 2 replies2 threads New Member
    Hey!! Thanks for the response, after further consideration, I am 100% leaning towards UCSB. The weather seems amazing over there :,)
    · Reply · Share