right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Athletic SAT scores

tkwimsytkwimsy 1 replies4 threads New Member
I thought I read that an athlete on average will get accepted at the smaller LA colleges with a score about 100 points lower than the average student. Any thoughts
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Athletic SAT scores

• Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 5523 replies93 threads Senior Member
    edited July 13
    Are you talking about a recruited athlete?

If so, and if said test score is far below a school's average it depends on how much leeway a coach has, how many slots they have in each band, as well as the level and potential impact of the athlete in their sport.

Generally, there is more leeway in helmet sports, but that is not always the case and again, the athlete must be an impact player.

Many recruited athletes also have high GPAs and rigor, as well as strong test scores, especially at the top LACs. The competition is fierce.
    edited July 13
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 2463 replies40 threads Senior Member
    A top level (i.e., varsity starter in a significant sport) athlete will carry the same advantage in admissions as other outstanding non-GPA/standardized testing achievements.

Applications are a portfolio of strong and weak components, so this very strong component could make a student with lower test scores more likely to be admitted than one without.

"100 points" just sounds like made-up data.
    · Reply · Share