right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Connect with admissions counselors from 50+ schools, get advice for your admissions journey, and more! RSVP NOW for a virtual College Fair on Sept. 29!
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Regret after turning down top schools?

mjut02mjut02 32 replies1 threads Junior Member
This spring, I was accepted to the University of Southern California as well as UNC Chapel Hill, but I turned them both down to accept a National Merit Scholarship at the University of Alabama. It was a really difficult decision for me, and it took a while to be okay with it. I know that I was incredibly lucky to have so many amazing options, but I'm just wondering if at some point in the future I'll regret not choosing a higher-ranked school (even though it would have put me in nearly $100,000 of debt). I've been told that safety/state schools are what you make of them, but it's really hard to look past the connections, opportunities, and prestige that come with top tier schools. Does anyone who is or was in a similar situation have insight or advice they would be willing to share with me?
edited August 3
17 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Regret after turning down top schools?

• LindagafLindagaf 11293 replies603 threads Super Moderator
    Yes. Enjoy not having to pay back $100k in debt.

Please read this featured article:
    https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/student-here-ask-me-anything/2192533-the-upside-of-rejections-how-i-fell-in-love-with-my-safety-school-ask-me-anything.html

Not quite the same situation, but you will probably come to love your college.
    · Reply · Share
  • melvin123melvin123 1926 replies34 threads Senior Member
    Just curious what you hope to major in, if you know.
    Not having all that debt will allow you greater flexibility to take unpaid internships, study abroad, go to grad school etc.
    · Reply · Share
  • CalCUStanfordCalCUStanford 254 replies5 threads Junior Member
    @mjut02 : Don't look back! And you still have plenty of opportunities for a graduate program at one of these "higher-ranked" prestigious institutions, and most importantly, without much of debt.

Cheers! :smile:
    · Reply · Share
  • merc81merc81 12059 replies205 threads Senior Member
    edited August 4
    For a contrasting perspective through which you can view your own decision, the prominent respondent in this Boston Globe interview associated his "greatest regret" with attendance at a highly ranked school: https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/10/15/charlie-baker-takes-proust-questionnaire/p2B2GsYFIUnYnVLsZCiX3I/story.html.
    edited August 4
    · Reply · Share
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 3734 replies90 threads Senior Member
    If Alabama keeps giving those generous scholarships to recruit top notch students such as yourself, they're going to climb the rankings up to USC's spot in short order. No need to look back here. You have made an excellent choice and all the best to you at Alabama!
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 5861 replies96 threads Senior Member
    edited August 4
    Agree with all of the above, you made a great decision!

Alabama’s Class of 2023 has 256 NMFs, so you are in good company.

https://uasystem.edu/news/2019/09/in-state-enrollment-up-10-at-university-of-alabama/
    edited August 4
    · Reply · Share
  • 2kidcollege2kidcollege 17 replies3 threads Junior Member
    We have a rising senior. We are weighing your question(s) as well; she stands a chance of getting into top schools and has worked very hard. FIT in a school choice is super important. I agree with the other posters, and yes, our student is also considering Alabama. This article (actually series of articles) is well worth reading.

https://www.dailyprincetonian.com/article/2020/06/why-you-dont-feel-successful-at-princeton
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 57910 replies3037 threads Senior Member
    Fit is fine, in fact its great.... if its affordable. If the choice is fit vs going almost $100K in debt, the choice is pretty clear. Kudos to the OP for making a tough choice. That said, there are also benefits to being the top of the middle rather than the middle of the top. ANd USC got plenty of bad press with the cheating scandal. Perhaps you really made a wise choice.
    · Reply · Share
  • MWolfMWolf 2992 replies14 threads Senior Member
    You forgot the $500 that Alabama is giving you every year for books, the $3,500 that Alabama is giving you every year as a stipend, and the $2,000 that you can spend on summer research.

So not only is Alabama paying for your tuition, room and board, you are getting your books for free, a summer research trip, AND about $65 a week for whatever you want.

Seriously, that is a great deal.
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 30649 replies59 threads Senior Member
    Of course you may have regrets!! We all have regrets at times for things, and not all of them make a lot of sense. It’s human nature. You could have regrets after picking either of the other two schools as well. You just would be paying back large loans as you had the regrets.
    · Reply · Share
  • blossomblossom 10550 replies9 threads Senior Member
    OP- every Freshman has a bad day or two (or three). You wouldn't be human if during that bad day you didn't think 'why oh why didn't I go to XYZ college". Because of course, at that college, nobody ever has a bad day. (you know I'm being facetious).

Of course you'll have regrets. Even making a great decision (which I think you have made- you just can't imagine at this point in your life what a chain around your neck 100K in debt would be) is going to come with "what if's" and second guessing.

Move forward. Make a conscious decision to take advantage- really take advantage-- of college. If it's a choice between sitting in your dorm watching a rerun of Friends or going to hear your roommates chamber music ensemble- go to the concert. If you have an hour between classes, don't sit by yourself drinking coffee-- check the campus calendar, see if there's an exhibit, or something cool in the library, or a talk by someone who is allegedly famous but you've never heard of.

College can be amazing. And the kids I know who DON'T find it amazing, are the kids who take their HS lives-- the same friends, the same activities, the same food-- and just transplant it to a new location. You can do this!!!! Amazing opportunities just there for the taking!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 11892 replies161 threads Senior Member
    edited August 4
    @blossom: Maybe not the best point at which to interrupt a sentence:

"And the kids who DON'T find it amazing, are the kids who take their HS lives"

Glad that you later finished that sentence !
    edited August 4
    · Reply · Share