right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Has COVID spoiled your campus visit plans? Meet with 50+ schools at our virtual college fair College Fair tomorrow, Sept. 29! Register NOW!
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

CMU or Indian Medical School?

janu2481janu2481 89 replies2 threads Junior Member
I'm an international student from India, and as of now, I plan to attend Carnegie Mellon University. The problem is, a national exam that is conducted in India for admission to medical schools (here we do that right after HS) has not yet been conducted. Classes start on the 31st, and over the past months my excitement for CMU has grown, whereas I lost a significant amount of interest in studying here. Finance-wise it's definitely cheaper here, but I am getting a good enough amount of aid from CMU as well. My parents don't want to me to fully commit to CMU yet cause of the pending exam. And honestly I'm done studying anymore for this exam. Thoughts on the situation?
8 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: CMU or Indian Medical School?

• momofsenior1momofsenior1 10854 replies134 threads Senior Member
    I have two questions.

Is your end goal to be a physician? If yes, it will be very difficult to do that in the US as an international student even if you go to undergrad here. You’re better off staying in your home country especially if you are able to start medical school now.

What do you mean that you haven’t fully committed yet to CMU? Doesn’t school start in a few weeks?
    · Reply · Share
  • janu2481janu2481 89 replies2 threads Junior Member
    edited August 12
    @momofsenior1
    For the first question, I am not completely sure about that, and that's one of the reasons I want to go to CMU cause I don't have to decide if that path is for me right away. And I shouldn't have mentioned international, rather I am a US national living abroad at the moment.

Secondly, by not fully committing they mean I should continue with classes and pay for the first semester, but be open to pulling out if somehow I decide to stay here.
    edited August 12
    · Reply · Share
  • mbinacan44mbinacan44 12 replies0 threads New Member
    CMU move in for freshmen begins a week from today...when is the medical school exam you are talking about? Were you given a CMU campus housing assignment for Fall? They are only providing housing for one semester this year unless you were given special accommodation for being international. And the cancellation fee is only waived until tomorrow for those given Fall assignments. Also, there is a mandatory 14 day quarantine for all students not from SW Pennsylvania, so if you are not living on campus you will need to make arrangements to complete the quarantine before you can attend any classes or activities on campus. Seems late to be thinking about this.
    · Reply · Share
  • janu2481janu2481 89 replies2 threads Junior Member
    @mbinacan44
    I am remote for the fall semester and plan to be on campus for the spring.
    As for the exam here, it's supposed to be held next month but there are chances it could be further postponed. My only question is - is it worth it to still have that option open (although I will be going ahead with classes at cmu)?
    · Reply · Share
  • happymomof1happymomof1 30948 replies199 threads Senior Member
    Start your classes at CMU. Take the medical admission exam. When you have the results of that exam you can decide what to do.

You may find that you don't like your CMU classes, or you may find that you can't get a visa if/when the US student visa process starts up again. So keep your options open for as long as you can.
    · Reply · Share
  • mbinacan44mbinacan44 12 replies0 threads New Member
    CMU has been absolutely amazing for our son, so I would say definitely start at CMU. It sounds like the medical school exam situation is fluid, and I don't see any harm in keeping that option open so you can make a decision if and when the test time comes or you have a score in hand. By then you may have a better feel for whether CMU is a good fit. Good luck to you!!
    · Reply · Share
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri 10181 replies393 threads Senior Member
    @happymomof1: You may find that you don't like your CMU classes, or you may find that you can't get a visa if/when the US student visa process starts up again.

In post 2 OP says they're a US citizen. Why would they need a visa?
    · Reply · Share
  • happymomof1happymomof1 30948 replies199 threads Senior Member
    @austinmshauri - Thanks for catching that! I had missed it in post #2.

@janu2481 - If it is you intent to make your career in the US, then getting here and getting started on that sooner rather than later is what you probably want to do. If you know for dead certain that you want a medical career, then re-weigh that option after you know if you have been accepted to medical school in India.
    · Reply · Share