right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Get all the info you need to know to complete the FAFSA during our LIVE webinar Thursday, Sept 24, at 7pm ET. Hear from financial aid experts on deadlines, what documents you will need, and how your info will be used to calculate aid. REGISTER NOW and share your questions.
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Drew vs. Ramapo vs. Rowan vs. Seton Hall

collegesearchistcollegesearchist 1 replies2 threads New Member
My child hopes to be a liberal arts major and has been rejected from Rutgers and Princeton. NJIT, Stevens, etc. are out of the question since she has no interest in majoring in technology, science, math, engineering, etc. All that's left in-state among the next highest ranking are Drew, Ramapo, Rowan, and Seton Hall. My child is artsy, loves upscale campuses and towns, and hopes to live on campus in dorms, at least for the first two years. Which would you recommend and why, and how would you rank them? What are the key differences?
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Drew vs. Ramapo vs. Rowan vs. Seton Hall

• eb23282eb23282 939 replies25 threads Member
    Well, to start Drew and Ramapo are the only two Liberal Arts colleges on your list. Also, there is a HUGE difference between South Orange (Seton Hall) and Madison (Drew).

Drew doesn't have off-campus housing so you'll be in the dorm 4 years - which is usually the draw of the small, private LACs. But the cute town of Madison is right there, as well as the train line to NYC if you desired. They have a phenomenal theater program and and in fact are home to the NJ Shakespeare Festival.

Ramapo dorms are very nice, as they're trying to shed their commuter image. And while there's no cute town nearby, the mountains are right there for those who enjoy nature. For some reason the school doesn't get much love, which is surprising since the academics are surprisingly good.
    · Reply · Share
  • NJWrestlingmomNJWrestlingmom 1849 replies2 threads Senior Member
    Agree with Ramapo, good school with great dorms. A friend is a sophomore and does find it a bit boring - seems a number of kids like to go to the city on weekends and that's not her thing.

My son is a senior at Rowan - I think the best housing in the bunch there. Definitely strongest in engineering but my son is a humanities major and has loved it. You have to live on campus 2 years. My son went off campus to save money junior year, but gorgeous, brand new on-campus apartments are keeping a lot of upperclassmen on campus. Glassboro is not "upscale", but Rowan Blvd has some great places to eat and live and it pretty much brand new.

TCNJ isn't on your list - I think they would be ranked higher than any of the others listed. Great academics if less than stellar freshman dorms, but nice new housing for upperclassmen.
    · Reply · Share
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU 14584 replies107 threads Forum Champion
    How much can you afford?
    If you can afford a private school, have you looked in PA as well?
    · Reply · Share