Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Hopeful Investment Banker!

KSAzNKSAzN Registered User Posts: 151 Junior Member
edited August 2006 in College Search & Selection
I am looking for REALLY good Econ/Business programs that will lead me to an Investment Banking job. Thoughts have already included Wharton, UT-Austin, Notre Dame, Emory, Princeton, yale etc etc. Any hidden programs out there that are known for their job placements w/ IB's?
Post edited by KSAzN on

Replies to: Hopeful Investment Banker!

• nodnardnodnard Registered User Posts: 467 Member
    Any Ivy (you noticeably left out Harvard). University of Chicago, Duke, UC-Berkeley (Haas), NYU (Stern), Stanford, Williams, Amherst, Middlebury are all well-recruited too.
  • QwertipQwertip Registered User Posts: 126 Junior Member
    USNEWS 2006

Undergraduate business specialties:
    Finance

1. University of Pennsylvania (Wharton)
    2. New York University (Stern)
    3. University of Michigan–Ann Arbor *
    4. University of California–Berkeley (Haas) *
    5. University of Texas–Austin (McCombs) *
    6. Massachusetts Inst. of Technology (Sloan)
    7. Indiana University–Bloomington (Kelley) *
    8. Ohio State University–Columbus (Fisher) *
    9. Carnegie Mellon University (PA)
    10. U. of North Carolina–Chapel Hill (Kenan-Flagler) *
    Univ. of Southern California (Marshall)
    University of Virginia (McIntire) *

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/premium/business/bizspec02.php

Also look at the BusinessWeek rankings:

http://bwnt.businessweek.com/bschools/undergraduate/06rankings/

As an example IU's Kelley sent 27% of its 2006 Finance majors into Ibanking. Thats approximately 160 IBanking analysts, not including people who majored in things other than Finance and still went into IBanking.

http://ucso.indiana.edu/cgi-bin/brochures/Finance.cfm

Here's a post by another user that talks about UMich and UofI and how many they send to Ibanking:

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/showthread.php?p=2758534#post2758534
  • nodnardnodnard Registered User Posts: 467 Member
    Oh yeah, I forgot UMich. But please don't post the USNews u-grad business rankings...they're pretty bad aside from #1. Georgetown and Emory are both better at placement than OSU and probably IU. OSU at #8?!?! Sure, they education may be good (however one evaluates that), but for business, the only thing that matters is recruiting and salary.
  • QwertipQwertip Registered User Posts: 126 Junior Member
    Oh yeah, I forgot UMich. But please don't post the USNews u-grad business rankings...they're pretty bad aside from #1. Georgetown and Emory are both better at placement than OSU and probably IU. OSU at #8?!?! Sure, they education may be good (however one evaluates that), but for business, the only thing that matters is recruiting and salary.

In terms of sheer numbers IU actually placed more IBank analysts than UMich in 2006. Approximately 160 from IU versus approximately 100 from UMich (See above links)

But as far as the USNews rankings go, thats why I put up the BusinessWeek rankings as well. Most good programs fare well in both rankings.
  • gellinogellino Registered User Posts: 3,017 Senior Member
    From what I saw from my analyst class, ones below and above mine and friends' analyst classes, the following schools had the best placement:

Harvard
    Penn (almost entirely Wharton)
    Yale
    Princeton
    Dartmouth
    Columbia
    Brown
    Cornell
    Duke
    Stanford
    Georgetown
    UVA
    UChicago
    Northwestern
    UMichigan
    BC
    Notre Dame
    UTexas
    NYU

LACs:
    Williams
    Amherst
    Bowdoin
    Colgate
    Middlebury
    Haverford
    Hamilton
    Colby
  • KSAzNKSAzN Registered User Posts: 151 Junior Member
    The reason I left out Harvard is due to a lack of interest in my part. I just have never been a fan of going to Havard for undergrad. One of the factors is I wish to go to Havard for an MBA potentially down the road, and would like a change of pace from undergrad to job to another school for MBA.
  • thethoughtprocessthethoughtprocess Registered User Posts: 4,167 Senior Member
    Also, you don't have to be an econ/finance major for IBanking!

They will train you!

Of course some coursework is important.

Target schools should by Ivies, Stanford, Duke, NU, Chicago, UBerkeley...most top schools are heavy recruiting grounds
  • haithmanhaithman Registered User Posts: 729 Member
    Emory? Notre Dame? Dude read the lists above...apply to more heavily recruited schools. Though these are great schools in their own respect, there are many other schools about equally as difficult to get into that place better.
  • KSAzNKSAzN Registered User Posts: 151 Junior Member
    I like Notre Dame for many reasons, not just for school. I love watching sports, and ND football is amazing. The overall "family" atmosphere to ND is also a plus.
  • slipper1234slipper1234 Registered User Posts: 9,084 Senior Member
    My experience (as someone who lives in NYC with a ton of banking exposure and who has an Ivy MBA) is that for the elite firms ignore the program rank and go to any of the top 10-15 USNEWS UNDERGRAD schools (basically the Ivies "plus") + the top 3-4 LACs (ex. Williams has amazing placement for example) overall. Then look at the top 3-4 undergrad business schools according to USNEWS. Any of these are the strongest feeders. The rest (top 25 USNEWS Universities, top 15 LACs, top 12 UG business) will give you opportunities but mostly at the lesser firms.
This discussion has been closed.