Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Ideas for college, unusual student, ethnomusicology

chrismchrism Registered User Posts: 637 Member
edited December 2004 in College Search & Selection
Student is currently in grade 10 but is already thinking about where to look. No scores to report yet, but extremely bright. From rural Maine. Interested in ethnomusicology and comparative religion. Will need financial aid. Any ideas for a preliminary list (the financial aid part will be important)? Location of school: northeast US for a start....
Post edited by chrism on

Replies to: Ideas for college, unusual student, ethnomusicology

• yemaya13yemaya13 Registered User Posts: 728 Member
    What type of school would he or she like?
    LAC or university?
    liberal or conservative?
    big or small?
    other interests/ preferences?
  • anoviceanovice Registered User Posts: 1,376 Senior Member
    Do you need financial aid or merit aid? Some schools are big on one or the other. Do you qualify in the eyes of the government for aid or it is required in the eyes of you... in other words...?

Many LACs are big on meeting financial need and others are big on giving grants and merit based money.

... there's lots of colleges in the northeast so you'll have plenty of great choices!!!
  • chrismchrism Registered User Posts: 637 Member
    LAC or university? LAC
    liberal or conservative? liberal
    big or small? small
    other interests/ preferences? good music dept

merit aid or financial aid? will qualify for financial aid

Thanks!
    The Counselor-O-Matic on the Princeton Review website could help. It is not very accurate, but it could provide a starting point.
    I think you need test scores for counselor o matic.
    You do need scores, but you could predict them based on PSATs or practice tests (if taken). The College Matchmaker on the collegeboard website does not require scores or grades.

Sorry, but I cannot come up with a list of possibilities for this student right now. I do not know much about which schools offer financial aid packages or ethnomusicology programs, but I am sure that someone else who is more knowledgeable can help. There are many great schools to choose from that will meet your criteria. Good luck with the search!
  • warblersrulewarblersrule Super Moderator Posts: 9,999 Super Moderator
    1)Brown University (a small uni, though)- excellent ethnomusicology and religion programs
    2)Five College Consortium- Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke, Smith, and UMass Amherst
    3)Simon's Rock College of Bard-ethnomusicology track in music major
    4)Peabody Institute/Johns Hopkins University
    5)New England Conservatory of Music- no comp. religion
  • NorthstarmomNorthstarmom Registered User Posts: 24,853 Senior Member
    I hear that Florida State has one of the best ethnomusicology departments in the country. National Merit scholars pass up far better schools to go there and major in that. While the overall school is a party school, there are some departments such as ethnomusicology that attract serious, bright, very talented students.

Tuition in Florida publics is reasonable. FSU also has merit aid.
  • concerneddadconcerneddad Registered User Posts: 1,734 Senior Member
    I believe Wesleayn also has a very good ethno-music program, but no merit aid.
  • garlandgarland Registered User Posts: 15,860 Senior Member
    I was going to say Wes, too. No merit aid, but my D had friends from very un-affluent backgrounds who got sufficient need-based aid. She took several ethno-music classes though they were outside her major, and loved them.
    Thanks everyone. I never expected so many replies during vacation week!
This discussion has been closed.