Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Good College for Math Major?

2»

Replies to: Good College for Math Major?

• tokenadulttokenadult Registered User Posts: 17,471 Senior Member
    What makes a top math program a top math program?
  • ottothecowottothecow Registered User Posts: 1,042 Senior Member
    I don't think that PhD production is the best indicator. Take for instance chicago, it has a great math program, but it also prides itself on being able to change peoples ideas.

If somebody goes in as a math major and finds something they prefer, isn't it better that they found something better? If they still want to stick with math, they have a great math program right there.
  • Int'l_85Int'l_85 Registered User Posts: 113 Junior Member
    http://web.reed.edu/ir/phd.html

take a look at this.
    ph.d. productivity i believe is pretty accurate in showing the strength of a department.
    Thanks for reviving this thread. Would there be any good reason to prefer, say, Reed over Carleton just from the point of view of its math program? Would a LAC like Wesleyan be out of the picture for a would-be math major?

Production of future Ph.D.s is a favorite statistic of LACs, but what about going as an undergrad to a place that produces Ph.D.s, that is, to a research university? What is the comparison in that case?
    Now that everyone has regular-decision round applications in, I'd like to revise this thread to ask what schools NOT to do a math major at, in your opinion.
2»
This discussion has been closed.