Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

University Of Wisconsin Madison -- What's your opinion?

2»

Replies to: University Of Wisconsin Madison -- What's your opinion?

• barronsbarrons Registered User Posts: 24,875 Senior Member
    From COHE

"Some of the top research universities in the country also are among the most successful at commercializing the inventions of their professors and graduate students. Then there is the University of Michigan.

For all its stature as a powerhouse research university, with top-ranked graduate schools, hundreds of millions of dollars in grants, and prestigious, federally financed research centers in optics and computing, the state's flagship campus has rarely earned more than a few million dollars a year in licensing income. Meanwhile, places like the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Stanford University, and the University of Wisconsin routinely rake in tens of millions.

Even taking into account the fluky nature of the technology-transfer business -- many of the institutions earning the most from royalties owe their success to one or two "big hit" inventions -- Michigan's record has been, until recently, decidedly undistinguished"
  • NorthWestLoverNorthWestLover Registered User Posts: 477 Member
    My Global studies teacher went there, and she says it's a great school. She says it's one of the largest (student body) school in US, and says it has great science curriculum.

I'm thinking of going there as one of my post-highschool education option, but the problem with that school is, you can hardly get a financial aid if you're from out-state (except for one state, but where is it?), so that's a concern for me.
2»
This discussion has been closed.