Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Help me pick a college

nickmanning214nickmanning214 Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
My requirements:
-no core cirriculum requirement
-no homework or tests(worth a shot...i heard they just banned homework somewhere in California)
-has tennis
-is near ski slope
-good jazz and math programs
-a lot of freedom to study what i want, instead of following guidelines

My credentials are good enough that I am a longshot to get into Brown(one of my choices since it has no core cirriculum requirement)..maybe i have a 1/10 chance. Do you guys know of any colleges that are like this one? I don't care if it's a freaking community college, I am just so sick of highschool and i want to go somewhere COMPLETELY different.
Post edited by nickmanning214 on

Replies to: Help me pick a college

• Worried StudentWorried Student Registered User Posts: 780 Member
    St. John's College in Annapolis, Maryland.

No homework, lots of reading, kind of self taught. You study the classics. Lots of classroom discussion among students.
  • TarhuntTarhunt Registered User Posts: 2,138 Senior Member
    No homework? Even reading is homework. There is no college that doesn't actually require a bit of work.

Surprise!!

I believe that Sarah Lawrence has no tests; just papers.

Why not take a year off? You don't sound as if you enjoy learning. Maybe a year off will help you figure out what you really want.
  • nickmanning214nickmanning214 Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
    i enjoy learning, more than most...i just despise not being able to learn what i want to learn because dr. joe schmo is making me crunch 500 chemistry problems, when i dont even care about chemistry

i want to work, and study myself...i want to do a jazz/math combo, but i just cant stand the way im forced to learn by people who dont know my way of learning...you know what i mean?
    seems like st johns has an extremely strict cirriculum requirement...i dont want to waste my time with french and all that
  • OneMomOneMom Registered User Posts: 1,925 Senior Member
    Take a look at New School University/Eugene Lang College. You can probably do the music part at Mann (music conservatory), which is also part of New School. They are into self determination. Sounds like a real fit for you. It's in New York City.
  • LakeWashingtonLakeWashington Registered User Posts: 9,305 Senior Member
    I agree with Tarhunt. It seems that you're dead set against the prevailing American higher education model, young man. Why not try a community college first to better determine whether or not you'll enjoy a "traditional" college
  • greennbluegreennblue Registered User Posts: 1,736 Senior Member
    Other open-curriculum schools are Amherst, Hamilton, Grinnell, and Vassar. But they all give homework and tests.
  • allthosethingsallthosethings Registered User Posts: 271 Junior Member
    Bennington and Hampshire include much of your criteria:
    -no tests
    -near ski slope
    -good jazz (sorry, don't know about the strength of the math program)
    -a lot of freedom to study what i want, instead of following guidelines

No luck on the homework thing, I don't think that college really exists!
    thanks...keep offering if you know any...the no homework/tests rule isnt nearly as important as the no core cirriculum rule...so its okay if we have to throw that one out...id rather not go community college, nothing against them, but id rather be surrounded by people as determined as me
  • ferrisbuellerferrisbueller Registered User Posts: 448 Member
    Beloit in Wisc. maybe.
  • huskem55huskem55 User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 4,284 Senior Member
    hampshire was my first thought.

maybe bard?
    bennington
    Eugene Lang/New School
    Pitzer in california (dont know about proximity to skiing though)
    Sarah Lawrence
    College of the Atlantic has an optional grading system, but it is so small that i doubt they have much to offer in terms of music
  • cantsaythatidocantsaythatido Registered User Posts: 107 Junior Member
    Pitzer is less than an hour away from Mt. Baldy and the San Gabriels, and it has very few course requirements (less than 7 core requirements), but it does have grades.
  • ferrisbuellerferrisbueller Registered User Posts: 448 Member
    Bard has grades as well. Bard and Pitzer aren't quite as alternative as the schoools this guy is looking at.
  • karen61990karen61990 Registered User Posts: 1,599 Senior Member
    I first thought of Marlboro college.
  • UMDADUMDAD Registered User Posts: 1,447 Senior Member
    College of the Vertical, Aspen, Colorado
This discussion has been closed.