Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

cheaper school VS. where you want to be

2»

Replies to: cheaper school VS. where you want to be

• tennisguy7tennisguy7 Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    I am pretty confident that when you visit Tulane you will love it. I haven't heard of anyone who visited and disliked the school/campus and all it has to offer. In reference to the concerns about the rebuilding of the campus, the campus is in fact better than ever before since the light damage that it did recieve from Katrina forced them to renovate several buildings, and that construction is now essentially complete. The new student center also just opened which is amazing. Academically, too, I would say that Tulane is certainly the strongest of the bunch you are considering, and it has an amazing balance of work/play that cannot be rivaled by any other school in the nation.
  • Chomsky1488Chomsky1488 Registered User Posts: 71 Junior Member
    I find it comical that you are in the same position that I was in last spring! But instead of UI, I was considering U. of Wisconsin. I like yourself had gotten into Grinnell (my dream school too!), but Wisc. was the cheaper choice. However, I choose Grinnell and it was the best desicion i have ever made. The professors care for all of the students and the warm environment that Grinnell offers brings the entire campus together. The academic experience of Grinnell is intense but I LOVE it. Remember that you only get these four years once, don't make a desicion that 10 years from now you'll be saying "What if I would have gone to..." Again good luck with your desicion, and hopefully you'll be walking the corridors of Grinnell next fall!
  • JoyceleneJoycelene Registered User Posts: 266 Junior Member
    Hahaha, I just had to say that when you mentioned U of I that I automatically assumed you were talking about UIUC without even thinking you meant Iowa or Indiana or anything. I, too, have never heard it mentioned as UIUC until I came onto the CC. I'm from Northern IL, as well.

Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of U of I. (I'm putting it mildly. Hahaha.) It's really a great public school, I know a ton of people who are going there, and the Honors program is definitely a plus. Really, if you REALLY wanted the big school environment, you'd be crazy not to go to U of I with such a great deal. But for me, I really love the sense of community and being able to at least recognize everyone in my school by what they look like, even if I didn't know their names. I go to a relatively large public school and up until Junior year, I would have to make new friends every year because of new classes. Some people really like that since that gives you an opportunity to reinvent yourself every year/semester but I absolutely hated it. It did a number on my mental and social health. I'm not going to say you can't find this at U of I, because you can, it just seems harder because there are so many people and so many options that it can sometimes be difficult to stick together in some ways. It might not, but that's my opinion and my experience on it.

I don't really know about Grinnell and Tulane. I was considering applying to Tulane but did not, for reasons similar to your own. Visiting should really be the clincher. As for Grinnell, a really good friend of mine was accepted last week and it's her first choice (: I think Grinnell is a pretty awesome school from what I've heard of it. I guess that would make me biased, but still.

GL!
2»
This discussion has been closed.