Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Vanguard Rankings

Worried StudentWorried Student Registered User Posts: 780 Member
Can someone post the top 100 colleges ranked by Vanguard? Also the top public schools ranked.
Post edited by Worried Student on

Replies to: Vanguard Rankings

• old but wiseold but wise Registered User, * Posts: 332 Member
    WS: Don't pay any attention to the rankings. I know that it's difficult, but they are meaningless. Here's an example of how a college can move up in the rankings by doing absolutely nothing in terms of increase quality of education:

XYZ College wants to move up in the rankings. Because SAT scores enter into the rankings formula, XYZ College decides to make SAT's optional. By doing this, students will submit SAT's only if they are GOOD. If they are bad, they will choose not to submit them to XYZ College.

So, the next time XYZ College submits it's Rankings Questionnare, it will show that their average SAT's went way up from the year before (only because students with low SAT's did not submit them).

By making SAT's optional, a greater number of students will apply because students with low SAT's who might not have previously applied are now encouraged to submit an application. Now the college looks tougher to get into because it receives many more applications but still has the same number of openings. So, by denying more students, the school looks more selective, thus increasing their ranking.

It's all a game. Also, the criteria used to rank colleges may have little or nothing to do with what you are looking for in a college.

Use of rankings, in my opinion, is a very dangerous "shortcut" to selecting a college because you may look only at those colleges on the ranking lists and ignore many other colleges that may be a better fit for you.
  • Worried StudentWorried Student Registered User Posts: 780 Member
    I don't pay any attention to them. I'm just curious to see where certain schools are ranked. I have a pretty good idea of where I'm going to college next season.
  • old but wiseold but wise Registered User, * Posts: 332 Member
    Glad to hear that you don't pay attention to the rankings. Now, do yourself a favor (really) and get rid of your curiosity about them. The best thing you can do is to not even pay any attention to them. Only fuels the college frenzy and makes for more nervous and stressed-out students.
  • doctorsboydoctorsboy Registered User Posts: 438 Member
    i agree with all above posts. rankings mean nothing in the long run.
  • collegehelpcollegehelp Registered User Posts: 6,523 Senior Member
    You should pay very close attention to the US News rankings, and the Gourman and Rugg's rankings if you can find them for your major. Of course, you have to keep them in perspective.

The US News rankings are like a Consumer Reports higher education issue. They are the best thing to happen to consumers of higher education since universities stopped burning heretics at the stake.

To say that you should ignore rankings is an argument for ignorance. It is just plain stupid.
  • huskem55huskem55 User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 4,284 Senior Member
    c'mon collegehelp, do you really think there is a difference in quality of school ranked 10th vs say 20th? because of the emphasis on us news rankings, a lot of people wouldnt dare go to the 20th ranked school if they got into the
    10th...
    Well, huskem55, there might be a difference in quality between 10 and 20 that is important to a particular applicant. As I said, you have to put the information in perspective. It is useful information that should be considered as part of the school's overall detailed profile. It would be foolish to ignore it. It would also be foolish to base a decision on a particular ranking alone.

The US News rankings, in particular, have an explicit rationale. They also provide the data that goes into their assessment so you can pick and choose what is important to you.

You could say that, given the basis for the particular ranking, there is even a real (numerical) difference between #10 and #11.

The next question is: "Is the difference between #10 and #11 or #10 and #20 palpable?" Will you actually FEEL the difference? Will your EXPERIENCE be different? This is harder to answer.

But, the problem is not with the rankings. The problem is with the audience that is not able or willing to understand the rankings and use them properly. That is why discussions like this are helpful.

On the other hand, as long as rankings have well established validity, it is not necessary to understand how they are derived. It is enough to know that they agree with other criteria. All you need to know is that the method seems to work.
  • hoedownhoedown Registered User Posts: 3,751 Senior Member
    Oh man, lauding Gourman as a good source for college ranking info? A lot of people have serious concerns about his methodology--which haven't been cleared up because he doesn't tell anyone what it is.

I mean, one could level valid criticism at all the rankings that are out there, but many folks find Gourman particularly problematic.

That said, I'm curious about the Vanguard rankings. I haven't heard of them, and I'm (usually, albeit sometimes marginally) on top of that sort of stuff.
    Gourman has actually published his methodology in some detail but few people have read it. It is not as explicit as US News, though. His method is also more complex than US News because he uses somewhat different criteria for each major (which makes sense). I think I have posted the Gourman methodology on CC before.
  • gellinogellino Registered User Posts: 3,017 Senior Member
    "You could say that, given the basis for the particular ranking, there is even a real (numerical) difference between #10 and #11."

Until the next year, when the school that ranked #10 drops to #12 and the one that was #11 moves up to #9, and then the year after that...
This discussion has been closed.