Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Is it wrong for a safety to be your first choice?

2»

Replies to: Is it wrong for a safety to be your first choice?

• Groenveld9Groenveld9 Registered User Posts: 1,495 Senior Member
    I don't think Berkeley is ever a great safety as it is one of the best schools out there, unless you have Amazing stats and cured AIDS I don't think you can have a 100% chance. Instate does help alot !
  • tanyanubintanyanubin Registered User Posts: 480 Member
    My D has almost decided to go to a school that is under her stats, but has an honors college and gives good merit aid for students who are at the high end of their profile. That makes financial sense, at least. She would go there for the same or less than a state college.
    was it ASU ?
    just a random question
    btw i feel lucky today i might even be right
  • tanyanubintanyanubin Registered User Posts: 480 Member
    LOL---no, it's a small college in NJ. A beautiful little school. We have to find out more about the quality of the honors program, though. We know some people who go to ASU, though, and love it. My D wants to stay in state, and wants a smallish school.
  • ohh miss zannaohh miss zanna Registered User Posts: 2,866 Senior Member
    Top 10% in Texas guarantees admission into UT Austin or Texas A&M. Plenty of people have those as first and only choices. (Well, not me, but that's not the point)
  • kev07wankev07wan Registered User Posts: 700 Member
    For me, I currently am considering Brandeis over some of my reaches (although I haven't been accepted to those yet). It's not quite as drastic as considering a safety over a reach, Brandeis was by no means a safety for me, but it's similar. People should definately consider picking a college which is a "fit" rather than ultra prestigious.
2»
This discussion has been closed.