Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is it wrong for a safety to be your first choice?

collegeguy749collegeguy749 Registered User Posts: 81 Junior Member
Is it wrong when one of the schools that you are almost guaranteed acceptance to is your number one choice? Or have you just found the sweet spot in the admissions game where you don't have to worry about trying to get into more selective schools?
Post edited by collegeguy749 on

Replies to: Is it wrong for a safety to be your first choice?

• kev07wankev07wan Registered User Posts: 700 Member
    It's defaintely not "wrong." You can go wherever you want.

I, personally, would never do that though. I would want somewhere where I would have at least some sort of academic challenge. A safety isn't likely to give that, and, for average students, a safety isn't likely to provide as good of prospects for after college as a more "match" or "reach" school would.

But it's entirely your choice! Sometimes, the nearly free rides offered by safeties can offset some of the potential negetives of going to one.
  • MattEisnMattEisn Registered User Posts: 408 Member
    my 1st choice will be a saftey, but it is Michigan-Ann Arbor... either way, it isn't wrong... but make sure to live up to your potential
  • huskem55huskem55 User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 4,284 Senior Member
    go to the place that will be the best fit. its pointless to go to a school just for the 'name' if you wont be happy
  • ajr62807ajr62807 Registered User Posts: 426 Member
    I agree
    one of my top choices is a low match/safety type school (OOS public that gave me almost a full ride)
  • southpasdenasouthpasdena Registered User Posts: 1,718 Senior Member
    I will be getting into some UC campuses but my first choice is a cal state. Nothing wrong there. However, i have to say my decision is mainly based off of the differences in tuition
  • karen61990karen61990 Registered User Posts: 1,599 Senior Member
    My first choice school, as of now :/, is a safety for me. I think there's nothing rwrong with it if you truely do love it.
  • shennieshennie Registered User Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    My son applied to 5 schools - 1 match and 4 safties. He found schools that had what he was looking for in places he wanted to go. He got accepted to all 5 schools with merit money at each and attended one of the safties. He has had to work hard at his school, is not one of the top students and has never felt that he is not challenged. Too many people sell schools short based on perceived difficulty. Just because a school accepts more than 50% of its applicants or accepts students with somewhat lower GPAs or SAT scores than yours does not mean the school will be a cake walk and that you will be unchallenged. If the school has what you want, then don't worry about it.
  • ferrisbuellerferrisbueller Registered User Posts: 448 Member
    A safety can be very challenging. Selectivity does not equal academic quality, so a school being a "safety" means nothing about its quality. If the safety fits best, go to the safety.
  • dhl3dhl3 Registered User Posts: 2,666 Senior Member
    Is it wrong for a safety to be your first choice?

Yes it is very wrong for your safety school to be the first choice. It is not only unethical, but it is also considered one of the biggest and the nastiest form of felony and if you get caught doing it, the minimum sentencing is 10 years in prison. In the Constitution Article III section 51, it specifically says "Thou shalt not choose the safety as first choice school." So you must never EVER consider or even think of having your safety as the first choice school.

Mark my words.
  • OneMomOneMom Registered User Posts: 1,925 Senior Member
    Many schools are easy to be accepted to, but hard to graduate from, or especially, to do well and graduate from. Pay attention to statistics on how many students fail to finish college, or take five or more years to do so, or quit and then finish years later. There is a reason for that. Or, more than one reason- difficulty, tedium, and money. So, it is very possible for a safety school to be a challenging school.
  • AlexandreAlexandre Registered User Posts: 24,615 Senior Member
    I don't think so. Two of my top three choices were schools I was virtually guranteed admission into.
  • Groenveld9Groenveld9 Registered User Posts: 1,495 Senior Member
    I kindof fell in love with most of the schools i want to apply to, so I actually don't even like my reach school as much as my safety.
    Which isn't wrong of course.
  • weenieweenie Registered User Posts: 5,793 Senior Member
    Is it wrong to marry the woman you love, versus the most glamorous one you can get?
  • Groenveld9Groenveld9 Registered User Posts: 1,495 Senior Member
    weenie stop, you're making me all emotional
  • ChangelingChangeling Registered User Posts: 318 Member
    Well if say you're a california resident with a gpa etc. that guarantees Berkeley, then berkeley would be a safety but an excellent choice as well.
This discussion has been closed.