Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Deferring Acceptance - but cannot decide on a school

lxc07lxc07 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
edited April 2007 in College Search & Selection
I am taking a gap year for sure.

However, I have not been able to decide which school I want go to a year from now. It is down to two schools: one is perfect for one field of study (international relations), and the other is perfect for another (medicine/biology).

BUT - I will spend my gap year traveling the world, doing volunteer work and working in hospitals in developing countries in different continents and hemispheres. I expect it to be truly enlightening and I simply do not think I can predict which school I will want to go to a year from now, after those sort of experiences - would I want to concentrate on becoming a doctor, or concentrate on working with international NGOs?

I am considering sending in a deposit to both schools. Then, exactly a year from now when I know more clearly what I want to do, I can tell one ofof the two schools that I have decided not to attend.

Although I know this is against the agreement and is highly frowned upon, I do not see an unethical side as I would not be affecting any waitlisted students since I am enrolling in Fall 2008. Are there any unethical sides that I have not considered? Are there any options you can suggest for me? Since it is SO CLOSE to the May 1 deadline, is it too risky to ask colleges if I could simply decide a year from now instead of depositing to two schools without telling them?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. I'm desperate :( Thank you!
Post edited by lxc07 on

Replies to: Deferring Acceptance - but cannot decide on a school

  • OneMomOneMom Registered User Posts: 1,925 Senior Member
    Double depositing is not honest. You have another choice. You should single deposit to your best fit school, or to the one that will give you the most flexibility. If, during gap year, you decide against that school, tell them that you will not attend, and that you are starting a whole new application process. Then, apply to the other school and/or new choices. You can also ask the schools if they will let you wait to decide, but they may just say no. Still, it never hurts to ask.
This discussion has been closed.