Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Wesleyan v. Colgate?

HerbertstrasseHerbertstrasse Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
I am very much undecided regarding my major right now, but likely considering something within the social sciences (polysci, econ, government). I also wish to continue my education in German (and supplement that with a semester abroad). Does anyone have any suggestions?
Post edited by Herbertstrasse on

Replies to: Wesleyan v. Colgate?

• gellinogellino Registered User Posts: 3,017 Senior Member
    Wesleyan is considered a little stronger academically, although from what I've seen a lot more Colgate students end up in Wall St type jobs. The reputation differences between these schools is negligible in comparison to the stark differences in campus personality/social scene at the two. Colgate does have a study abroad program in Germany, although I'm guessing that Wesleyan probably does too. I would choose completely based on fit here and since you visited both campuses would imagine that one would have a better feel to you.
  • danasdanas Registered User Posts: 1,781 Senior Member
    Agree with gellino.
    These are well regarded schools with starkly different cultures. The major difference for you should be fit.
  • Decisions2MakeDecisions2Make Registered User Posts: 128 Junior Member
    Yep. Flamingly liberal to the point of overbearing or Northface preppy/conservativeish. Where do you fall?
  • HerbertstrasseHerbertstrasse Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Somewhere in between I guess...I know this might seem kinda strange, but it seems like either school would be a good fit for different reasons.
    I was the same exact way as you...did you visit?
  • momfrommemomfromme Registered User Posts: 2,669 Senior Member
    Colgate is more geographically isolated and is an economically depressed area, albeit in a beautiful setting of rolling hills and cows and old barns that are falling down.
  • HerbertstrasseHerbertstrasse Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    I did visit both. which way did you end up going?
    Same exact way as in schools with socially different atomospheres. I didn't apply to wesleyan did to colgate. Loved Colgate but didn't go. Went to a small LAC in the South and ended up transferring MOSTLY because of social atomosphere...so I would realy recommmend a close look, social scene can make all the difference.
This discussion has been closed.