right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Sports Management Major

daman11daman11 825 replies79 threads Member
edited January 2014 in College Search & Selection
which colleges have the best sports management programs???
I am look for elite universities...
edited January 2014
176 replies
Post edited by daman11 on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Sports Management Major

• acarta07acarta07 836 replies41 threads Member
    if u wanna major in that I suggest u go to a school with strong athletics.

I dont know all the schools that have the major but I do know the best ones for it:

- USC
    - Florida
    - North Carolina
    - UMiami
    - Indiana
    - Ohio State
    - Michigan
    - South Carolina

These are the ones i consistently hear are the best. however they are not necesarilly the only ones.
    · Reply · Share
  • loslobos71loslobos71 . 1765 replies4 threads Senior Member
    Ithaca
    Indiana
    Miami
    Temple
    UMass
    UOregon
    Springfield College
    Clemson
    FSU
    NYU
    OSU
    Rice
    Rutgers
    SMU
    Cuse
    TAMU
    UConn
    UDel
    UGA
    UF
    UIUC
    UMich
    UT
    WVU
    Bowling Green
    · Reply · Share
  • Cards4LifeCards4Life 1175 replies36 threads Senior Member
    loslobos pretty much covered the list i was gonna give you...I would add:

OhioU
    Flagler College
    · Reply · Share
  • daman11daman11 825 replies79 threads Member
    which ones are the premier ones?
    · Reply · Share
    I believe

UMass
    UOregon
    Bowling Green

Are the top 3, correct me if i'm wrong?
    · Reply · Share
    UOregon is a top Sports Marketing school, not management. Two completely different options. They have a Management major, but not the specialized Sports Management you'll find at the other schools. Their Sports Marketing, however, is top notch and arguably the best in the country. For a Sports Management degree, these would be the top six, alphabetical order because they're all about equal:

Bowling Green
    Indiana University
    Ithaca College
    Ohio University
    Springfield College
    UMass

I went with 6 and not 5 or 10 because these 6 are far above the rest...for comparison: if these six were Top 10 schools, and the rest Top 50 schools. meaning they're all excellent, good programs...but these six are arguable your best options.
    · Reply · Share
    so ann arbor isnt as good as advertised?
    · Reply · Share
    I believe UMich has a different approach to SM than other schools.
    · Reply · Share
    how so? haha sry if im being very nit picky
    · Reply · Share
    Michigan is a great school. You'll get an amazing education and if you choose to enter Sports Management there, you'll be able to obtain a great career.

But there are schools that are established as leaders in producing graduates who go onto outstanding careers in professional, collegiate, and high school athletics. And not just on the field but behind the scenes. You don't have to go to a school ranked in the top ten in every sport to have a good career in Sports Management. Look at the top schools--OhioU, UMass, Ithaca, for example. None have outstanding mainstream athletics but go to their sites and check out the places they're students get internships and career placement at.

UMich would be a good choice nonetheless.
    · Reply · Share
    Well I havent found a ranking of which is best. I did find a list of every school that has the program in the U.S:
    http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/majors/brief/major_31-0504_brief.php
    Anyways: my reccommedation: go to a school that has a major sports program. Football, Basketball etc.. Also pick schools that send lots of players to professional teams. if u wanna work in the NFL, it wouldnt hurt going to a feeder school for NFL Teams.
    imo I wouldnt pick a liberal arts school or small state school that has not really succeeded in any division 1 sports. I might be wrong but If i were majoring in sports management I would def pick the big name schools u see in sports all the time.

Go to a big state school or just one of the big private universities u see a lot on sports games on tv examples: Notre Dame, USC, FLorida, Ohio State, Indiana, Miami, Michigan etc..
    · Reply · Share
    so im speaking from an undergraduate point of view....gettting my degree is fine from michigan... but i should move on to a specialized university for grad schooL?
    · Reply · Share
    Yea Michigan would be a great option.
    · Reply · Share
    thhanks for the help guys.... im leaning towards michigan for undergrad as of now because i also want to major in business
    · Reply · Share
    also i can take it for honors rite?
    · Reply · Share
    What? Major in SM?
    · Reply · Share
    yup...or am i confusing myself....cuz u can take it for honors at umass
    · Reply · Share
    that'll depend on what school you go to. if you want to go to Michigan, you'll have to check on their website.

and before you get your heart set on Michigan, do you have the stats to be admitted there?
    · Reply · Share
    Dont know if UMich has it for honors. Pretty sure UMass does, although I didnt get in to begin with, so I never bothered figuring that out.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity