Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Suggested Schools

MaxNiedMaxNied Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
Hey there, I'm looking for a school that offers three things - a stellar English program (for an aspiring english teacher), a wrestling team (ncaa preferred), and a music conservatory. Location and size are not very important to me, I'm more concerned with getting the education I want than being comfortable. So far the only school I've found that fits these requirements is Boston University, but I'm sure there must be a few others out there... I just can't seem to find them :-( any help would be appreciated.
Post edited by MaxNied on

Replies to: Suggested Schools

• huskem55huskem55 User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 4,284 Senior Member
    johns hopkins
  • collegemom02collegemom02 Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    I don't know about wrestling, but U Rochester has Eastman School of Music.
  • mattmommattmom Registered User Posts: 1,763 Senior Member
    You don't need a stellar English program to be an English teacher--just a good English department. And I am not sure that if you are a conservatory student you will have time to wrestle or vice versa. But questions do arise her:

Are you a good enough wrestler to compete at the college level, and if so, are you being recruited? Sounds like you are not. But why not run through a list of DI and DIII schools and get in touch with some coaches before the season starts to see what the possibilities are? When you say "ncaa" do you just mean you don't want to do wrestling as a club sport (if that even exists?) or is there some other issue involved? And what about just good music programs that are not part of a conservatory?

Also, "being comfortable" is part of getting a good education; location and size will matter because they willl shape who your classmates are and what you get out of the experience. And of course depending on your academic credentials your musical and athletic credentials become have varying degrees of relevance to the schools in question.

A good English department is almost by definition part of being a good school. Wrestling is a big sport in the Midwest, what about midwestern schools? For example, if Oberlin has intercollegiate wrestling, it might be a possibility. Kenyon? Grinnell? State university wrestling programs? I don't know what year of high school you are in but I think you are not focusing properly on what you want--sort of a combination of being too specific and yet too vague.
  • MaxNiedMaxNied Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    I'm not knowledgable enough about college terminology to really discern the difference between an english program and an english department, I assumed they went hand in hand. If you could clarify this, that would help.

When I say ncaa, I mean I'd rather be wrestling at a level where there is a national competitive drive pushing me rather than a handful of local schools. I just don't think I'd be motivated in a club environment because there wouldn't be enough diversity for the kind of competition I'm used to in California.

as far as having time, nobody could tell me whether or not I would have such a luxury as to pursue both. That's why I'm looking for colleges that have both options available, so I could find out for myself and make a decision without being crippled from the start by a weak or nonexistant program.

most solid music programs work through conservatories or in other ways have substantial facilities of their own; they tend to have the space, faculty, and equipment so that I could do anything from pursue a degree in a musical field or just casually go to practice once every few weekends or so. Most college programs that don't put their musical facilities on par with (or at least competitive with) their other areas of study tend to provide the education that I could get just paying a local drummer 30 bucks to teach me for an hour a week. I asked several teachers at my school who recieved degrees in various fields of music and have sent many students on to musical careers, so I assume they know what theyre talking about.

as far as being comfortable - I've lived in a lot of places - Pennsylvania, Hawaii, California farmland, San Francisco, and suburban California. None of them ever made me uncomfortable in the sense that I didn't like being there; Pennsylvania winters affected me about as much as Hawaii heat, which is to say very little. The only part of the location that really concerns me is housing costs.

I'm focusing on the things that have affected me in the previous 18 years of my life, and moving things that I've never really cared about - the weather, for example - to the back burner. I've had 3 years of people telling me whats important, and I've thought hard about what each of them have said and I've made up my own mind on what's important.

I don't mean to be rude, but your reply came off as merely an attack on whether or not I've given ample thought to what I want out of college instead of constructive criticism - which I hope is what you were originally intending. The suggestions at the end seem to be more like potshots in the wind than actual educated suggestions, and you seem to have placed me into a mold and assumed quite a bit about me in your reply - most of which, in my opinion, turned out false.

I was reccomended to this site because the mother of a friend of mine who graduated from high school several years ago said it was instrumental for them in finding proper information on colleges, and finding colleges they had never considered - one of which he ended up attending. I really hope that your reply here isnt representative of the general community. If I wanted blatant attacks on my intelligence, I would have gone to my math teacher or the College Board.
    I apologize for not being more specific about a few things in my original post - as far as location goes, I would prefer east coast and I would prefer to avoid a rural setting - the east coast was the most favorable of places I lived, and music does usually require other musicians, which can be hard to find when the average population per square mile is in the single digits once you leave campus.

an example school I was looking at that really interested me (as I believe I posetd earlier) is Boston University.

with that said, I really could live just about anywhere - west, midwest, central, out-of-country (although this option would be a bit limited for linguistic reasons). the only place that i really don't enjoy is the south; I'm not a big football fan and I'm not very religeous, and its hard to find a college that doesnt make a big deal out of either of those down there.

size doesnt concern me. I could be more than happy at a small liberal arts school such as Bowdoin knowing everyone there, or at a research university such as UC Davis, IU Bloomington, or UPenn where I would find my niche, or at least try to.
  • BalaBala Registered User Posts: 491 Member
    You may want to look into Northwestern's School of Education and Social Policy (SESP). There are only about 100/year in the school. Classes are small, advising very strong, and attention hard to beat.
    http://www.sesp.northwestern.edu/

The School of Music at Northwestern is also top notch. With Chicago just down the block, opportunities outside of the classroom abound. In addition to majors and joint majors, minors in performance are also available.
    http://www.music.northwestern.edu/programs/#minor

The wrestling team at Northwestern is nationally ranked (4th place in NCAA championships last year). Wouldn't venture to guess how many walk-ons gain entry. Won't be easy.
    thanks a lot Bala, I'll look into it. would you happen to know about what academic level most accepted seniors are at for northwestern, or even better for their school of education and social policy?

A friend of mine actually just got a full ride to Northwestern for wrestling... hes been ranked #1 in the nation in his weight class for nearly a year. I don't think I'd stand a very good chance of simply walking on, given the caliber of wrestler that team seems to hold as a standard.

Thanks a lot for the reccomendation though, their SESP sounds very interesting.
  • lilybbloomlilybbloom Registered User Posts: 986 Member
    The average SAT for enrolling students at Northwestern last year was 1433/1600.
  • Sam LeeSam Lee Registered User Posts: 9,449 Senior Member
    i think it's 1423, not 1433.
  • Sam LeeSam Lee Registered User Posts: 9,449 Senior Member
    SEPS usually has lower average stats than overall average. I've seen the difference of 50 points or more. NU used to have historic SAT averages by colleges on their website. Unfortunately, that info is no longer available.
  • k&sk&s Registered User Posts: 2,139 Senior Member
    A friend of mine actually just got a full ride to Northwestern for wrestling... hes been ranked #1 in the nation in his weight class for nearly a year. I don't think I'd stand a very good chance of simply walking on, given the caliber of wrestler that team seems to hold as a standard.

You should talk to your friend and maybe contact the coach, Tim Cysewski.

Depending on your weight class (and talent level), Cysewski may be open to walk-ons.
This discussion has been closed.