Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Anybody have last years US News college issue?

anselmo1anselmo1 Registered User Posts: 206 Junior Member
Please, do me a favor and check what was the percentage of whites in Howard University (DC) last year. Thank you.
Post edited by anselmo1 on

Replies to: Anybody have last years US News college issue?

• jazzymomjazzymom Registered User Posts: 3,676 Senior Member
    I have the 2007 edition and for Howard University it lists: 0 percent American Indian, 1 percent Asian, 90 percent black, 1 percent Hispanic, 0 percent white, 9 percent international.

Quite a big jump to the 2008 edition, which lists 8 percent white, 7 percent international, 84 percent black and no change on American Indian and Asian. The percentage from in-state also dropped, from 12 percent in the 2007 edition to 7 percent in 2008.
  • princessbellprincessbell Registered User Posts: 2,079 Senior Member
    Where did all those white people come from? That's so random! Are they lying or something? Or did they change their recruting techniques?
  • anselmo1anselmo1 Registered User Posts: 206 Junior Member
    I went there in July and saw a total of 1 white person.
  • matusmatus Registered User Posts: 104 Junior Member
    i have 2006 edition Black=84%
  • Papa ChickenPapa Chicken Registered User Posts: 2,841 Senior Member
    2006 ed white = 8%

looks like 2007 ed is the anomaly
  • JohnnyKJohnnyK - Posts: 2,156 Senior Member
    do whites get AA preference in admissions? Is there a WSA (white students association)? Id go just to see that
  • hoedownhoedown Registered User Posts: 3,751 Senior Member
    do whites get AA preference in admissions? Is there a WSA (white students association)? Id go just to see that

Nothing prohibits white students from attending a historically black college.

Whether they get preference in admissions isn't a question I can answer. At some HBCUs, maybe they do. HBCUs, however, do not have as one of their aims the provision of a racially diverse environment for their black students. My guess is that their admissions preferences, if any, would extend to other kinds of diversity.
  • warblersrulewarblersrule Super Moderator Posts: 9,949 Super Moderator
    do whites get AA preference in admissions?
    Possibly. NC Central (HBCU) came to my school and offered me a scholarship, stipend, computer, etc. NCCU is public, though, and it may have different aims than a private school like Howard or Spelman.
This discussion has been closed.