Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Which is the best college in San Diego area?

c0calaitc0calait Registered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
edited October 2007 in College Search & Selection
I am an international student, but I have family in San Diego (20 minutes from downtown) My question is what is the best college (business program) in that area (limit your response to all colleges south from LA)

Thanks!
Post edited by c0calait on

Replies to: Which is the best college in San Diego area?

• dnduswodnduswo Registered User Posts: 1,612 Senior Member
    UCSD...nothing comes close to UCSD when you talk about south of LA...
  • bigreddawgiebigreddawgie Registered User Posts: 2,161 Senior Member
    ucsd lmao..
  • kyledavid80kyledavid80 Registered User Posts: 8,093 Senior Member
    ^^ what's so funny? I don't think it's ludicrous to suggest that UCSD is the best college in SD.
  • fa-la-la-lenafa-la-la-lena Registered User Posts: 2,844 Senior Member
    although not quite as "good" as ucsd, san diego state is also a pretty good school, esp. in international business (Ranked top 15 undergrad. program in country)
  • WestCoast101WestCoast101 Registered User Posts: 239 Junior Member
    UCSD is probably the top overall and is great in the sciences. If you want to go into business (especially accounting or finance) though, I would definitely say USD. They have a good law school as well. San Diego State is solid in International Business, although they aren't really known for their academics. SDSU is definitely the place to party though.

If you definitely know that you want to major in business and you can afford it, USD is the best choice IMO.
  • bigreddawgiebigreddawgie Registered User Posts: 2,161 Senior Member
    i meant as in ucsd is obviously the best in sd area...
  • coureurcoureur Registered User Posts: 11,386 Senior Member
    ^^Not so fast. Sure, UCSD is better regarded in general, but OP said he wants to study Business. UCSD has an MBA program but does not offer an undergrad business major. San Diego State DOES offer undergrad business.
  • calicartelcalicartel Registered User Posts: 423 Member
    Not so fast. Sure, UCSD is better regarded in general, but OP said he wants to study Business. UCSD has an MBA program but does not offer an undergrad business major. San Diego State DOES offer undergrad business.

This is true. So SDSU wins by default because they offer an undergrad business degree and UCSD doesn't. I would guess that USD's business program would be halfway decent as well.
  • world changerworld changer Registered User Posts: 2,503 Senior Member
    For business, USD (if you can afford it).

Otherwise, SDSU is solid as well.
  • WestCoast101WestCoast101 Registered User Posts: 239 Junior Member
    "I would guess that USD's business program would be halfway decent as well."

Umm, I guess that you could say being Business Week's 5th ranked undergrad business school in the West might be "halfway decent".....
  • sanfrancisco333sanfrancisco333 Registered User Posts: 62 Junior Member
    guys guys guys....your forgetting San Diego Community College. Its better than and of those school Combined! And dayum i hear they got the 2nd best football team in their league.
  • LakeWashingtonLakeWashington Registered User Posts: 9,305 Senior Member
    Hmmm. There's a solid liberal arts program at the private U of San Diego, as well as Marine Science. San Diego State (which I believe is technically part of the California State University System) is underrated. Sure, U of C-San Diego has the most resources, but you can't go wrong at any of the three...academically.
  • calicartelcalicartel Registered User Posts: 423 Member
    Umm, I guess that you could say being Business Week's 5th ranked undergrad business school in the West might be "halfway decent".....

I sure would - when people have to resort to segmenting rankings so that schools are ranked higher ("it's number 1 for X program in the Y region for all schools with Z students or less and $300M in annual faculty funding"), you know that overall, that school is probably running about middle of the pack and not much better.
    BusinessWeek's national undergrad b-schools rankings don't really mean anything, let alone its ranking of regional undergrad business programs.
  • LakeWashingtonLakeWashington Registered User Posts: 9,305 Senior Member
    No ranking means much if not based on easily quantifiable objective criteria.
This discussion has been closed.