Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Really important question!

2»

Replies to: Really important question!

• TarhuntTarhunt Registered User Posts: 2,138 Senior Member
    Exactly UCBChem. Some schools have very strong cultures or very strong reputations. Kids might either like it or hate it there. But Wake just seems like a good school that is both a Research1 institution and a place that appears to care about undergrad education.

Seems like a nice place.
  • bballbball Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    its seems wake isn't a school perceieved as "prestigious". i realize this, i just think it's straight. average SAT 1340. a "most selective" school. i think its perception (like the guy early in the thread said) is a nonselective school that if you pay the money you can go to.
    i mean the comments seems to be misconeived. (i appreciate them, but im just given you the reason for my question). for instance you say it's a "research 1 institution, probably a good school".
    it seems you may not have realized it's been in the to 25 for 20 years till this year.
    i think it doesn't get alot of credit.
    that's where my curiosity comes form here.
    i just think it's strange***** (not straight)
  • TarhuntTarhunt Registered User Posts: 2,138 Senior Member
    bball:

I know that Wake is a very good school, and I also know that it hasn't been in the US News top 25 very often (and not just this year) if ever, but it's been close. When US News first came out, Wake wasn't even in the national university category, but was #1 as the top regional school in the South. Wake is usually ranked about the same in US News as Bill and Mary, which is very good.

If it's prestige you're after, Wake certainly has that in the middle South.

I like Wake. Nice school.
  • doctorbdoctorb Registered User Posts: 662 Member
    bball-

Everyone knows that you have to be smart to go to Wake. Who cares what US News says. That ranking is a joke and every thinking person knows it. Its more about research and money than education. Tarhunt is correct;Wake, W&M, Rice, Tufts, Georgetown have reputations that far exceed their "ranking". Sadly, Wake will be perceived better as their football team wins more games. Such is life in America.
  • innocentbystandeinnocentbystande - Posts: 404 Member
    I agree. Wake Forest actually fares much better than many similar schools in terms of reputation because they are in the ACC which gets a lot of exposure via television and newspapers and magazines. For example, I had no awareness of Bill & Mary until I moved to DC and same thing for Reed College until I moved to Seattle. Many people are unware of Williams College and it routinely is rated the best LAC. Unless you are in academia, you have no reason to be aware of a lot of these great small schools unless you live in the geography. Division I athletic success really gets the name out there with oftentimes big impact on admissions selectivity. As an example Boston College was considered a commuter school for B students back in the 60s and 70s. Their move to the ACC and success on the football field has really vaulted them forward in terms of prestige and name recognition.
  • exploringoptionsexploringoptions Registered User Posts: 296 Junior Member
    Wake Forest is generally the second favorite of fans of the other in-state ACC schools (Duke, UNC & NCSU). Wake has the third smallest undergraduate population for NCAA Division I FBS football, after Tulsa and Rice.
  • gprimegprime Registered User Posts: 485 Member
    Academically, WF is excellent. It is among the finest schools in the South. That being said, as far as perception goes, from what I've come across, it would see a very bad place for non-WASPs, in partcular Jews, who make up .019% of the undergraduate student body, and even less of the graduate student body.
    how could it be .019%. that's 2 for every ten thousand kids. there's only 4000 students there and has to be more htan 2 jewish kids
    that's like seven tenths of a jewish kid at Wake
  • bluedevilmikebluedevilmike Registered User Posts: 11,964 Senior Member
    Hm. Tag.
  • noobcakenoobcake Registered User Posts: 1,736 Senior Member
    Perceptions from AR

1. Nice school in NC
    2. Work Forest
    3. Conservativishness
    4. Prestigious but not gonna be like "Wow, its Duke/Rice/etc"
    5. People prefer Davidson and Duke over it at my school; crapload of people applying to NC schools.
2»
This discussion has been closed.