Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Really important question!

bballbball Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
edited January 2008 in College Search & Selection
what is your guys perception of Wake Forest.
Thinking of going there and i want to know how this school is seen.
Post edited by bball on

Replies to: Really important question!

• bballbball Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    with your answer, if you guys could tell me what regoin of the country you're from that would really help
  • kyledavid80kyledavid80 Registered User Posts: 8,093 Senior Member
    Supposedly a good school, though I think I heard it's conservative. Seems rather average, from my perception (nothing really exceptional about it).

Southern California.
  • world changerworld changer Registered User Posts: 2,503 Senior Member
    Strong academically, prestigious business program, nice social scene, pretty campus...

Nothing absolutely extraordinary, but still a good school.
  • innocentbystandeinnocentbystande - Posts: 404 Member
    Wake Forest has a very strong reputation in the Washington, DC area.
  • warblersrulewarblersrule Super Moderator Posts: 10,108 Super Moderator
    Great school! Very attractive campus, extremely friendly students, good athletics, and a fairly nice location. The student body leans slightly right of center, although a liberal would not be out of place.

I visited twice and thoroughly enjoyed both visits. Until my top choice raised its FA offer, I felt no qualms at all about choosing Wake over "more prestigious" schools. In fact, one of the courses I really need for my major will be taught be a Wake professor visiting at my school next year.

Supposedly a good school
    I guess. I mean, it's ONLY in the top 1% of all American colleges. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  • kyledavid80kyledavid80 Registered User Posts: 8,093 Senior Member
    I guess. I mean, it's ONLY in the top 1% of all American colleges.

Isn't it apparent that I'm speaking on an absolute scale and not on a comparative one? Perhaps not. (Plus I'm going on perception, not ranking, and perception has little to no bearing on reality.)
  • TarhuntTarhunt Registered User Posts: 2,138 Senior Member
    I grew up in an area very close to Wake Forest.

I'd say that Wake's reputation is preppy, Southern, conservative, and fraternity oriented. There are a number of schools like that in the upper South. Its academic repuation is good, and it's better known for teaching, perhaps, than research. It's small compared to most other schools in its athletic conference (the ACC).

I don't think Wake really offends anyone. I don't get the sense that there's a school in the ACC that considers Wake its natural rival. I guess I would compare it to William and Mary (but perhaps W&M has a rep for somewhat more stringent academics), Richmond, Washington and Lee, and Davidson.
  • UCBChemEGradUCBChemEGrad Registered User Posts: 10,277 Senior Member
    WF's Demon Deacon mascot looks like "Reverend Kane" from the movie Poltergeist 2.
    haha. anybody else??
  • fencersmotherfencersmother Registered User Posts: 1,975 Senior Member
    I have been on campus twice in the last five years and it is a really beautiful school, with an excellent academic rep here.

I can't think that there is anything "bad" about it (including southern conservative preppy frat types).
    anybody else? anybody else?
    some people must have head of this school
  • TarhuntTarhunt Registered User Posts: 2,138 Senior Member
    Well, bball, I mean, a LOT of people have heard of Wake Forest. It's just that Wake doesn't have a really strong flavor, you know? It's a good school, no question about it. If you like it there, then go!
    what do you mean by really strong flavor
  • UCBChemEGradUCBChemEGrad Registered User Posts: 10,277 Senior Member
    I think he means it doesn't ellicit strong positive or negative reactions.
This discussion has been closed.