Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Journalism or Not?

2»

Replies to: Journalism or Not?

• TarhuntTarhunt Registered User Posts: 2,138 Senior Member
    Your wife may be just exceptional,

Or general writing skills may have declined precipitously over the years.
  • Sam LeeSam Lee Registered User Posts: 9,449 Senior Member
    The so-called "Medill F" has been around for a long time. It's a tradition. :)
  • FCYTravis99FCYTravis99 Registered User Posts: 291 Junior Member
    As I mentioned, essentially every j-department/school requires students to complete a broad-based liberal arts curriculum and/or take a minor. I agree with the idea that it's extremely important to not just "know journalism."

A sampling:
    University of Alaska Fairbanks: 80 of 123 credits must be non-journalism, plus a minor or foreign language fluency required for BA.
    University of Idaho: 86 of 128, plus a minor is required for BS
    San Francisco State University: 80 of 120
    University of Missouri: 83 of 123
  • NinnynoddleNinnynoddle Registered User Posts: 152 Junior Member
    I have a dilemma that's related to what we're talking about here...

I want to be an actress. I plan on getting either a BFA or BA in musical theatre. I'm also really interested in musical theatre history/analysis/criticism. So as a (really unreliable) back-up option, I'd like to do something with that. Maybe writing essays, or reviews. Reviews, of course, is a little more of a realistic option. There are musical theatre historians out there! They're just not really in high demand. :) But anyway...

Considering what I want to do with my back-up, what would anyone reccommend taking for a minor? I was thinking journalism, but there's also a problem that many of the colleges I'm looking at for musical theatre don't offer a minor in journalism. Would it be worthless to get a minor in English, communication, or writing? Those are the three common minors I see that I thought might be an option. Thanks for any help!
2»
This discussion has been closed.