Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I dont know what to do...

nmt6789nmt6789 Registered User Posts: 113 Junior Member
edited October 2007 in College Search & Selection
So right now I'm in an Engineering Technology program at RIT and I am not sure whether or not I want to stay in engineering. I am planning on transferring next year to an engineering program somewhere else but, the problem is, I dont know if I like engineering or not.

The only thing that assures me is that it seems like there is nothing else out there. can anyone give me a suggestion on what I can to do figure out what I really like to major in?

Other considerations are something along the lines of business, marketing, economics or possibly architecture.
Post edited by nmt6789 on

Replies to: I dont know what to do...

• UCBChemEGradUCBChemEGrad Registered User Posts: 10,277 Senior Member
    Did you just start at RIT this year?
  • ken285ken285 Registered User Posts: 3,931 Senior Member
    What was the original reason you decided on engineering?
  • nmt6789nmt6789 Registered User Posts: 113 Junior Member
    1. Yes this is my first year

2. I chose engineering because it seems like the only thing I would like to do.
  • weenieweenie Registered User Posts: 5,793 Senior Member
    And what exactly is it about the RIT program that you don't like? Can you pinpoint that? (I know it's hard sometimes.)

Engineering Tech is a good field - the pay is good and there is demand. You've probably already discovered that it's a tad less demanding than regular engineering?

Frankly, I think it's WAY too early to be quitting. MAKE AN APPT WITH YOUR ADVISOR TOMORROW!!! I know you have one - and I bet you've never talked with him/her. Tell him/her your concerns. See what they say.
  • nmt6789nmt6789 Registered User Posts: 113 Junior Member
    I feel that Engineering Tech is for slackers or something.... I don't know but it seems like I'm in class with a lot of slackers.

You also cannot become a Professional Engineer in NY state with a technology degree.
    For engineering, this is a good link to find out more information the different fields: http://www.careercornerstone.org/engineering/engineering.htm
    Read it and see if there's anything you're really interested in.
    You also cannot become a Professional Engineer in NY state with a technology degree.
    1. Not every engineer needs to be licensed; it depends on what field and what sector you work in.
    2. You can be a professional engineer in NY state with a technology degree. See http://www.op.nysed.gov/pelic.htm
    The only difference is you need more work experience than somebody with an engineering degree.
This discussion has been closed.