Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

If it's for Free, it's for me. . . "Free" College Apps

katia11katia11 Registered User Posts: 611 Member
edited November 2007 in College Search & Selection
I was wondering if any of the college I was applying to had any method to get a free application. While I don't qualify for a fee waiver based on income, free things are generally good.

In my search I found this website. . . check it out!
http://www.porcelina.net/freeapps/

Some schools require you to apply online or visit campus. . . all organized by category. There's some pretty good schools too!
Post edited by katia11 on

Replies to: If it's for Free, it's for me. . . "Free" College Apps

• tetrisfantetrisfan Registered User Posts: 11,791 Senior Member
    I wouldn't apply to a college just because it has a free app...
  • wdrmhbswdrmhbs Registered User Posts: 387 Member
    Sometimes if you visit a college they will give you a fee waiver
  • Muffy333Muffy333 Registered User Posts: 2,108 Senior Member
    Thanks for posting that! When I was applying to college years ago my mom would only pay for my application fee to the colleges she liked! A lot of $70 fees adds up!
  • katia11katia11 Registered User Posts: 611 Member
    I'm not saying people should apply to colleges just because they are free. . . but you might find a good safety. . . In fact, I would have paid a lot for schools I was going to apply to anyway.
  • leungpy1leungpy1 Registered User Posts: 329 Member
    If you go to Common App, there is a matrix that shows the requirements of all schools. Many schools has 0 for application fee.
  • 99cents99cents Registered User Posts: 1,088 Senior Member
    I did a research on this free application and found there are at least 27-30 schools in the top 100 universities and LAC that offer free application. However, to use some school as a safety, you also need to look at the cost of attending there. I did further search on the type of merit aid that they gave and found most schools give a discount ranging from $10K-$25k max for a total price of $40-50K COA. So it turns out the local UC is a better safety. So a safety, should also be a financial safety, and you must want to go there otherwise it is FRAUD safety.
This discussion has been closed.