Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Emory's national reputation

Replies to: Emory's national reputation

• lgellarlgellar Registered User Posts: 524 Member
    Anyone who thinks that Emory students are in any way inferior to the non-HYP Ivies doesn’t really know much about Emory students.
    SAT scores are one way I can think of...
  • hawkettehawkette Registered User Posts: 4,863 Senior Member
    Gkc,
    Sorry, my point was NOT that non-southern employers don’t respect Emory. I was posting about the relative perspectives of Emory vis-
  • CayugaRed2005CayugaRed2005 Registered User Posts: 4,041 Senior Member
    As a "redneck bigot" from the North, I can see how the south, and Georgia in particular, will have a lot of problems.

You can start with lack of water, suffocating sprawl, and poor K-12 education.

Then again, I live in the rust belt, so who I am to cast the first stone.
    cayuga,
    I'm very surprised you're defending a reference to lynching as accurately reflecting life today in the South....

As for lack of water, please explain what this has to do with the South. Are you also aware that there are severe water problems in many parts of the USA?

Re suffocating sprawl, no doubt you're referring to Atlanta. It's a big state and there really isn't a decent sized city (and accompanying "suffocating sprawl") anywhere else in the state.

Re poor K-12 education, that hardly is limited to Georgia. Frankly, if you asked most college professors, they would say that this is a problem in all 50 states.
  • CayugaRed2005CayugaRed2005 Registered User Posts: 4,041 Senior Member
    Not defending it, just suggesting a bit at to why the South still isn't in a lot of Northerner's favor. I know I would never voluntarily choose to live south of D.C. for a variety of reasons.

While I agree that the reference was uncalled for, I would be very surprised if the reference was meant in anything other than jest.
  • palmettotreepalmettotree - Posts: 255 Junior Member
    I'm sure I'll read some more of these, but CayugaRed,

that "suffocating sprawl" you refer to is caused by one thing and one thing only, Northerners running down to the South at record paces, i.e. # of Jewish synagogues and Catholic schools in Metro Atlanta have pretty much quadrupled in the past decade or so. Correlation.
  • amadaniamadani Registered User Posts: 522 Member
    "One of the big differences between Emory and UGA honors is their student bodies. 29% of Emory students are from Georgia while 85% at UGA come from Georgia."

One small change, only 18% of Emory students are from Georgia and 62% of Emory students come from outside of the southeast.
  • gkc4gkc4 Registered User Posts: 385 Member
    Thanks hawkette for your responses!

As for all the south-hating...I live in Georgia, and I think it's a great place to grow up. Then again, I live in an affluent, white, suburb of Atlanta with a great education system.
    By the way, it sounds like you just got off Emory's wait list (?), so have you figured out how much debt you'll be in if you go to Emory?
  • luxlibertasluxlibertas Registered User Posts: 181 Junior Member
    Emory is generally regarded nationally as a school for people who couldn't get into ivies. Even WUSTL is probably outpacing it a bit these days. It certainly wouldn't be viewed as favorably as places like Cornell or Northwestern.
    amadani,
    Thanks for setting us straight on the IS numbers for Emory and UGA as I was working with outdated data from another thread.

As the numbers indicate for Emory (18% IS and 62% from outside of the SE), Emory has a broad national distribution of students. And I would suggest that these students compete effectively vs some of their more heralded peers on commonly used statistics, eg, standardized test scores (Emory has ACT avg of 31 vs. 31 at U Penn, Dartmouth and Northwestern, 30.5 at Columbia and U Chicago, and 30 at Cornell, Brown, Johns Hopkins, and Vanderbilt).

As for luxlibertas's statements for Cornell and Northwestern, IMO this would be true in their home regions and to a lesser degree nationally, but not in the SE vs Emory. Wash U is a good comp, albeit with a stronger student profile than Emory (and Cornell and NW).
    Emory has ACT avg of 31 vs. 31 at U Penn, Dartmouth and Northwestern, 30.5 at Columbia and U Chicago, and 30 at Cornell, Brown, Johns Hopkins, and Vanderbilt).
    Source for that? I've been looking for average standardized test scores for quite some time now.
  • hotasicehotasice Registered User Posts: 655 Member
    I'm not sure how this fits in, but I definitely know for a fact that Emory has a huge endowment (very, very rich school--the campus resembles a country club, most notably the Clairmont Apartments) and probably attracts many bright students (who've also been accepted to Ivies and other comparable schools) with alluring offers of financial aid.
    Emory's latest reported data for endowment shows overall size of $5.56 billion and per capita of $518k. Some others that rank below Emory are:

$506k Duke
    $460k Wash U
    $407k Northwestern
    $340k Brown
    $311k Columbia
    $295k U Penn
    $294k Vanderbilt
    $274k Cornell
  • palmettotreepalmettotree - Posts: 255 Junior Member
    I'd bet at least half of that comes from Coke money, which is great.
This discussion has been closed.