Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Schools for an "Average" student

CIACIA Registered User Posts: 1,120 Senior Member
edited June 2008 in College Search & Selection
I'm average. I have average ECs: Key Club, Debate team, Newspaper, Intern for my town's Democratic Committee. I have average grades. Straight B's with one C freshman year in all honors, then mostly A's with a few B's scattered in throughout the rest of high school.

I want to go into law and eventually become a politician. What kind of schools are there for a student like me?
Post edited by CIA on

Replies to: Schools for an "Average" student

• lgellarlgellar Registered User Posts: 524 Member
    Probably just best off going to a public university then.
  • CIACIA Registered User Posts: 1,120 Senior Member
    Yeah I pretty much figured that. But what are some good public schools I could get into? I'm also not a fan of heavy drinking and that's one of the biggest turn off from state "party-schools".
  • DCforMeDCforMe Registered User Posts: 626 Member
    hmm, so then we'd be looking at around a 3.3ish UW GPA? How's your class rank? Do you have some test scores we could use? I only ask to help get us a better context in which to place you.

American might be a school to look into, although your GPA could be a tad low. Ohio State is supposed to have a good political science program
    My GPA is about 3.6 but I may be able to raise it to a 3.7 if I do REALLY well my senior year.

I got a 2100 on the SATs.
    Yeah I pretty much figured that. But what are some good public schools I could get into? I'm also not a fan of heavy drinking and that's one of the biggest turn off from state "party-schools".
    Well, what state do you live in? I wasn't suggesting you go to any public school, I meant the in-state ones where you get a significant discount on tuition.
    I live in Virginia. UVA is a top choice obviously but my GPA may be a bit low, no?
    I could actually get a scholarship to JMU (I live in the town JMU's in, Harrisonburg). But it's one of the top party schools in the nation and like I said, that's a turn off. I'm also not too fond of staying in town.
    What did you get on your SATs? I've heard good things about JMU.
    For some reason my post showed up before yours. But it's there.
    For some reason my post showed up before yours. But it's there.
    Oops. You might be able to get into UVa since you have a 2100. You should also apply to W&M needless to say. I guess it also depends how many AP classes you've taken.
  • calgalcalgal Registered User Posts: 330 Member
    CIA, You have been hanging around cc too long if you in any way think you are an average student. Your SATs are way above average, grades significantly above as well. You are undervaluing your academic performance. It's not Ivy level, but very solid.
    Thanks calgal.

I took one AP class my sophomore year (only one offered), and took several this year. Planning on taking several next year.

I'm hoping for about 6 total AP's. Maybe more.
    Yeah, I'd be pretty surprised if you don't get into either UVa or W&M. You could try sealing the deal by doing really good on the ACT.
    Thanks for your help lgellar. Does anyone else have suggestions?
  • nuclearfreenuclearfree Registered User Posts: 147 Junior Member
    If you're up for something out of state, you can try GWU or American University. They're both in DC, so you should have a lot of opportunities in politics.
This discussion has been closed.