Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Looking for...

alamodealamode Registered User Posts: 2,063 Senior Member
edited August 2008 in College Search & Selection
medium sized urban or suburban MATCH and SAFETY schools
preferably on the east coast but open to anything near a city (basically just NOT rural)

quick overview:
GPA: UW=3.8ish, W-4.2ish
SATI: 1450/2190 (first and only time, might retest in Oct)
SATII: 720, 680, 650
APs thus far: World History (5), US History (5), Statistics (5), Lang (4), Microecon (4), Macroecon (4)
Senior Schedule: AP Euro History, AP Art History, AP Lit, AP Calc AB, AP Gov't, Sociology Honors
Main ECs: Nat. History Day (regional, state, and national placement), Volunteer at Historical Society, Art Classes (art doesn't fit in my school schedule), Volunteer at Art Museum, Editor of School Newspaper, School Literary Magazine

any ideas?
Post edited by alamode on

Replies to: Looking for...

• Ryan1119Ryan1119 Registered User Posts: 511 Member
    What would you like to study?
  • alamodealamode Registered User Posts: 2,063 Senior Member
    I'm not completely sure, but probably History or Sociology. I would like to have the opportunity to double major, minor, or at least take courses in the visual arts (bonus points if they offer fashion design).

thats why Brown is currently my top choice--I love the school, a good size, in a small city and not too far away from nyc, and you can coregister, or even do the dual degree program with RISD.
  • Ryan1119Ryan1119 Registered User Posts: 511 Member
    NYU sounds suitable for you.
  • highopeshighopes Registered User Posts: 1,581 Senior Member
    Boston College or Boston University sounds good for you (low match and safety, respectively).
  • goyanks193goyanks193 Registered User Posts: 112 Junior Member
    UVA...Medium sized school, in a suburban/small city, and fairly close to larger cities like Richmond/DC
    ^ahhhh youre ridiculousss

I've been looking into those few but arent NYU and BU pretty large schools?
    I like the idea of a bigger school, but I don't like the lack of academic advising and such that usually goes along with a larger student population. Thats why I think like 5,000-10,000 or so would be ideal
    Yeah, BU is pretty big - something like 17-18k undergrads. Have you considered BC, though? It's in a suburb of Boston and has about 7,000 undergrads, if I recall correctly.
  • poipoi Registered User Posts: 2,427 Senior Member
    Maybe American.
  • limitedvocablimitedvocab Registered User Posts: 309 Junior Member
    Fordham (NY)?
  • unaloveunalove Registered User Posts: 3,725 Senior Member
    --University of Rochester (lowish match, has studio art)
    --The College of New Jersey (matchy safety, has an art school but no fashion design)
    --Quinnipiac U (safety, art but no fashion design)
    --Fordham (matchy safety, doesn't seem to have a lot of art programs but I'm sure its location will give you tons of art/design opportunities)
    --Purchase College (SUNY)
  • gocanesgocanes Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
    is ur 1450 score on the SAT out of 1600 or 2400?
    if its out of 2400 then neither of the aforementioned schools are matches rather reaches at best.
    ^ You can tell it's out of 1600 because the OP listed their total score, too (2190).
    -I'm considering BC...I'm not sure if I like the whole Catholic thing, considering I'm not Catholic, haha...or religous at all
    -would American and Fordham be safeties or matches?
    -unalove, thanks I'll look into those
    -yeah the 1450 is out of 1600, 2190/2400

does anyone know of more school similar in size/feel of Brown? kind of like...a LAC but larger in size?
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 35,889 Super Moderator
    University of Cincinnati. Great design program.
  • unaloveunalove Registered User Posts: 3,725 Senior Member
    I was thinking of mentioning it, but it sounds like it's too big for the OP.
This discussion has been closed.