Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Most Talented Student Body

Replies to: Most Talented Student Body

• DunninLADunninLA Registered User Posts: 4,272 Senior Member
    OK runner -- we're looking for the intersection of two curves: intellectual and athletic/social (which is itself a composite).

I would say then a school in the 20-50 band of USNRW that prides itself in "all-around" person --

Maybe William and Mary, or Wake Forrest, or possible Vanderbilt or UVA.

Somebody is going to have to plot those two curves so I can see where they intersect.
  • DunninLADunninLA Registered User Posts: 4,272 Senior Member
    The answer might also lie in which Top 30 schools score the highest in the Director's Cup --

On average, over the past 5 years:

1. Stanford
    2. UCLA

Duke, Michigan and UNC also are up there. Florida is too, but it's academic ranking is not at the same level as those five.
  • k&sk&s Registered User Posts: 2,139 Senior Member
    I admit that Duke or Stanford is probably a good bet for the most well-rounded people.

The Duke student body well-rounded - considering that Duke isn't particularly strong in the arts or engineering?
  • cafesimonecafesimone Registered User Posts: 673 Member
    For those that have mentioned UC Berkeley, one still has to remember that the majority of UCB's student body is from California. So UCB is limited compared to other schools, who can pick "talent" from all over the country.
  • swish14swish14 Registered User Posts: 1,325 Senior Member
    Duke, Stanford, Northwestern, William & Mary, Georgetown, Vanderbilt, would be good places to start.
  • johnwesleyjohnwesley - Posts: 4,610 Senior Member
    Wesleyan has one of the scariest combinations of alum I've ever seen: several Academy Award nominees within the last ten years (including one winner), several Tony Award winners (this year) and TWO NFL coaches. It is probably also one of the smallest colleges in the country with a bona fide pop/rock/jazz music scene all its own.
  • etcheverryetcheverry Registered User Posts: 159 Junior Member
    i would vote for USC: you got famous actors, producers, director, business man, lawyers, doctors, engineers..
    i would also put NYU , Northwestern, and stanford.
  • beefsbeefs Registered User Posts: 2,559 Senior Member
    God, every single post on these threads becomes a college promotional.
    johnwesley wrote:
    Wesleyan has one of the scariest combinations of alum I've ever seen: several Academy Award nominees within the last ten years (including one winner), several Tony Award winners (this year) and TWO NFL coaches. It is probably also one of the smallest colleges in the country with a bona fide pop/rock/jazz music scene all its own.
  • USNA'10USNA'10 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    GoNavyXC: Good thread, it looks like UCBChem supports your insinuation.

Although we do turn out some pretty accomplished people, I don't think getting people to believe in the service academies is the best way to go. We are our own breed and the type of people we turn out speak for themselves. We don't need people's support from CC because most of them don't even know who we are! You know who I'm going to say because we have Mr. McCain in the election, and his son at our school, no less. Of course there's VP hopeful Wesley Clark who was valedictorian of his West Point class and went to Oxford after winning a Rhodes Scholarship.

I think you're trying too hard to gain people's support from a place we'll never get it. Please refer to the CC main page, we have our own forums specifically for us.

--P.S. what company are you in GoNavy?
  • BourneBourne Registered User Posts: 982 Member
    It's obviously going to be a top athletic/academic school.

I'd probably go with USC because of their film school.
  • etcheverryetcheverry Registered User Posts: 159 Junior Member
    "GoNavyXC: Good thread, it looks like UCBChem supports your insinuation.

Although we do turn out some pretty accomplished people, I don't think getting people to believe in the service academies is the best way to go. We are our own breed and the type of people we turn out speak for themselves. We don't need people's support from CC because most of them don't even know who we are! You know who I'm going to say because we have Mr. McCain in the election, and his son at our school, no less. Of course there's VP hopeful Wesley Clark who was valedictorian of his West Point class and went to Oxford after winning a Rhodes Scholarship.

I think you're trying too hard to gain people's support from a place we'll never get it. Please refer to the CC main page, we have our own forums specifically for us. "
    interesting......specially the "I think you're trying too hard to gain people's support from a place we'll never get it. Please refer to the CC main page, we have our own forums specifically for us" part.
  • USNA'10USNA'10 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Yeah if you go to the main page cc has kindly placed us off in a different bracket for better or for worse.
  • johnwesleyjohnwesley - Posts: 4,610 Senior Member
    Beefs - ****.
  • indiejimmieindiejimmie Registered User Posts: 509 Member
    Stanford, Duke, Notre Dame, Georgetown
  • Nightmarerec0nNightmarerec0n Registered User Posts: 456 Member
    Juliard.....
This discussion has been closed.