Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Most Talented Student Body

GoNavyXCGoNavyXC Registered User Posts: 467 Member
edited August 2008 in College Search & Selection
We know which schools are the toughest to get into, which ones have the highest incoming GPA's, SAT's, and awards. I'm wondering, what are people's opinions of the most talented overall undergraduate student bodies are.

The answer to this thread is going to be a lot of Harvards and the like, but I'm not talking about dodge ball targets here...I'm talking about scholars, leaders, visionaries, athletes. Where are you finding the most well rounded and talented people?
Post edited by GoNavyXC on

Replies to: Most Talented Student Body

• xiggixiggi Registered User Posts: 25,441 Senior Member
    Let's make this a short thread.

The answer is obvious: Berkeley and Duke. Nobody else comes close.
  • UCBChemEGradUCBChemEGrad Registered User Posts: 10,277 Senior Member
    I think that the service academies have very impressive candidates, all-around...leadership, service oriented, physical and mental ability, and confidence.

xiggi, thanks for mentioning my alma mater in such an esteemed light...I'm very honored...;)
  • musicamusicamusicamusica Registered User Posts: 6,468 Senior Member
    Most Talented---that would be the Curtis Institute of Music with a 4% admissions rate. :)
  • coolman123coolman123 Registered User Posts: 458 Member
    Of course I'm biased, but I think Cornell has a very well-rounded student body (although obviously less well-rounded than Duke's and Berkeley's ;) ). Cornellians have an incredibly wide range of academic interests, and can choose from 7 undergrad colleges to study in and over 4,000 courses to take. And, with over 900 student organizations, our extra-curricular interests are just as diverse and widespread. As for athletics - we are good at lacrosse.

Talent-wise, Julliard and RISD students are extremely talented in their respective arts.
  • noobcakenoobcake Registered User Posts: 1,736 Senior Member
    Berkeley by sheer number.
  • minimini Registered User Posts: 26,431 Senior Member
    University of Phoenix.
  • gellinogellino Registered User Posts: 3,017 Senior Member
    Dodgeball targets aren't necessarily getting into Harvard or are there any higher % there than other top schools.
  • Phead128Phead128 Registered User Posts: 2,091 Senior Member
    CTY <---The name itself says it all.
  • xiggixiggi Registered User Posts: 25,441 Senior Member
    xiggi, thanks for mentioning my alma mater in such an esteemed light...I'm very honored...

Heck, I've been accused of suffering from the small school complex. Now I can add the broken clock syndrome to my list of deficiencies.

Now, if I can only keep "my" people away and "yours" at bay, we might have an unbiased thread. :)
  • chicagoboy12chicagoboy12 Registered User Posts: 662 Member
    juliard duh
  • DunninLADunninLA Registered User Posts: 4,272 Senior Member
    why would the most selective schools not have the most all-around talented kids?

I don't get the question.
  • silverchris9silverchris9 Registered User Posts: 298 Junior Member
    If you drop the word "athlete" and replace it with "artist in some way involved with theater," Northwestern and Carnegie Mellon start looking pretty good.
  • GoNavyXCGoNavyXC Registered User Posts: 467 Member
    DunninLA, I think you understand the question, you're just not analyzing it enough. Obviously, the Ivy Leagues are not the most talented on the whole because the athletic ability of their average student is not on par, with say some state school.

In other words, kid in your high school had 1400 SAT, top 3%, All State athlete, numerous awards, great essays and recommendations, awards, leadership, adversity...where do you think he or she is going to end up?
  • beefsbeefs Registered User Posts: 2,559 Senior Member
    Duke or Stanford, or a recruited athlete at any other top college.
  • GoNavyXCGoNavyXC Registered User Posts: 467 Member
    I admit that Duke or Stanford is probably a good bet for the most well-rounded people.
This discussion has been closed.