Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Best Environmental science schools

flowerchild077flowerchild077 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
edited October 2010 in College Search & Selection
I am planning on majoring in Environmental Science and did some research and found a group called the Eco League. I was wondering if colleges that are part of the Eco League have a better Environmental Science program. I was also wondering what some good schools are outside of the Eco League.

Some of my stats are:
GPA 3.5
SAT score 1,710
ACT score 24
Extracurriculars: Lacrosse, Soccer, Key Club

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Post edited by flowerchild077 on

Replies to: Best Environmental science schools

• mregomrego Registered User Posts: 1,038 Senior Member
    "The Eco League is a five-college consortium consisting of Alaska Pacific University, Green Mountain College, Northland College, Prescott College and College of the Atlantic. The consortium is unique, in that each college is in a different geographic area. Alaska Pacific University is in Anchorage, Alaska. It is the only college in an urban center. Prescott College is situated in Prescott, Arizona, making it the only southwestern campus. Northland, a Midwestern campus, is situated in Ashland, Wisconsin. Green Mountain College is in Poultney, Vermont, a small town situated in rural Vermont's Green Mountains. College of the Atlantic's ocean-front campus is situated on Mount Desert Island in Down East Maine, directly adjacent to Acadia National Park. Despite a wide variation in acceptance levels and academic ratings, all six colleges have strong programs in Environmental Studies. The essential beauty of the consortium is the ability to experience learning in virtually every major biome of the United States."
  • mregomrego Registered User Posts: 1,038 Senior Member
    outside the Eco League: Paul Smiths?
  • LakeWashingtonLakeWashington Registered User Posts: 9,286 Senior Member
    You need to broaden your criteria. Do you want a college in the east or west? Large university or small college? See what I mean?
  • nocousinnocousin - Posts: 841 Member
    Your stats are likely not high enough, but believe it or not, I have heard that Wheaton College in Illinois has a superb Environmental Science program, if you can take the Holy Roller campus.
  • applejackapplejack Registered User Posts: 1,483 Senior Member
    Cornell's Natural Resource Management program is usually considered the best.

Just as a suggestion from someone in the industry - you might find "environmental science" comes off to employers as a little vague and broad when looking for employment. Right or wrong, I know a lot of people hiring who see "environmental science" and perceive it as more of a "learn how to be a tree hugging environmentalist" than anything truly practical.

Natural Resource Management programs (or more specific such as marine biology, forestry, etc...) are much more applied and marketable. You can also focus on policy issues rather than technical skills in nat res management.
  • PackMomPackMom Registered User Posts: 7,667 Senior Member
    S is majoring in Natural Resource Policy and Administration at NC State University.
  • flowerchild077flowerchild077 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I would prefer to go to a small school. But I have no preference as to where in the U.S.

But i was also wondering if the eco league schools are better environmental schools than others in the U.S. who just have environmental science as a major. Is there a list of the top Environmental schools?
  • White_RabbitWhite_Rabbit Registered User Posts: 947 Member
    CSU Humbolt might be of interest to you.
  • nysmilenysmile Registered User Posts: 5,850 Senior Member
    SUNY-ESF, SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry

SUNY for Environmental Science and Forestry.

Relatively affordable and it's located on the Syracuse University campus. Same dorms, same classrooms, at a fraction of the price.
  • nocousinnocousin - Posts: 841 Member
    ^^^^^^ very interesting. SUNY Environmental at Syracuse.
  • EnviroGuyEnviroGuy Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    I agree with applejack. An applied field like natural resources, forestry, applied ecology, environmental engineering will land you a job after you graduate (though not a well paying one). I wouldn't say environmental science is the worst, it's slightly more reputable than "environmental studies." You should look at the requirements of each degree. Usually if a program goes something like "choose x many courses from this list across several departments," its a sign the program might not be best. There should be a seperate environmental science/studies/nat.res department or college.

I'd also recommend going for science over policy, at least for undergrad. Unless you're studying something like environmental economics, and undergrad degree in environmental policy doesn't go very far. It's much better to get a strong background in environmental science or ecology and then go to graduate school for policy. Do take policy courses, but don't neglect (typically harder) science courses.

The best environmental programs are at top schools- probably Berkeley, Cornell, Duke, and Yale are top. Some LACs like Middlebury have great programs. Many state and land grants colleges also have good programs, especially SUNY ESF, University of Vermont, New Hampshire, Wisconsin, Washington.

As for the eco league, I've heard of most of those colleges, but I haven't heard of that league. I wouldn't say those colleges are any better than SUNY ESF.
  • LakeWashingtonLakeWashington Registered User Posts: 9,286 Senior Member
    The major in Natural Resource Manangement typically is the study of "terresteral" resources, i.e. land based. Conservation Biology can involve land-based natural resources or aquatic or marine biology. Aquatic means freshwater resources/organisms (liminology) while marine speaks for itself.

Other schools with great environmental/natural resources, conservation biology programs include;

Lehigh University, U of Washington, Duke University, U of Massachusetts-Amherst.
  • TsenguunTsenguun Registered User Posts: 1,341 Senior Member
    U of Oregon!
  • tsdadtsdad Registered User Posts: 4,035 Senior Member
    You can bring your long gun to school at Northland. They have a game room where you can dress what you kill assuming of course we are talking about wild animals here.

It's a very nice looking, small college. It is very, very far north in Wisconsin, not far from Lake Superior. It's cold and snowy, but it could be a great school for you if you are an outdoor type person, want a small college, and are interested in the subject matter.
  • minimini Registered User Posts: 26,431 Senior Member
    Evergreen State College.
This discussion has been closed.