Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Schools Good For Sports Journalism

Newman91Newman91 Registered User Posts: 142 Junior Member
edited August 2008 in College Search & Selection
What schools are good for Sports Journalism and Creative Writing majors? I have like a B average with extra curriculars.
Post edited by Newman91 on

Replies to: Schools Good For Sports Journalism

• gocanesgocanes Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
    whats ur SAT?
    What preference to location do u have?

several schools that come to mind that u hae a good shot at:

- Indiana (Match)
    - Ohio University (Match)
    - Missouri (High Match)
  • mikemacmikemac Registered User Posts: 10,130 Senior Member
    The school isn't going to make you a sports journalist. That is, going around telling employers "look, I have a degree from X" isn't going to open any doors. In journalism of any kind, sports or otherwise, what YOU do in college is what will count. This means writing for the school paper, and getting internships and summer jobs in journalism. There are MANY schools at which you could do this. I'd suggest looking for schools that have a good advising system for academics and a good career center to help in finding internships.
  • Knights09Knights09 Registered User Posts: 1,739 Senior Member
    Missouri has one of the top J-Schools in the country.
  • lakeeffectlakeeffect Registered User Posts: 122 Junior Member
    University of Tennessee has a very interesting Sports Journalism major, great sports teams to cover, and what looks like a great internship program.
  • Newman91Newman91 Registered User Posts: 142 Junior Member
    thanks for the input guys and mikemac i get what your saying but I also want to go to a school that offers good internships.

I haven't taken the SATs yet but I had a B average last year and I am entering my junior year that I have high expectations for grade wise.
    Is Indiana a hard school to get into out of state? I just looked into it on the website and I think it seems like a good fit.
    No. It isn't too hard.
    Any other ideas?
  • ca2009ca2009 Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    How about Syracuse University in New York? I don't know if you're interested in print or broadcast, but Syracuse's Newhouse School of Communications is one of the best (several very successful sportscasters have graduated from Newhouse). It is, however, very competitive (much more competitive than the other schools within the university). You're going to have to really work on bringing up that B average and getting a 1300 or higher on the SAT (29 for ACT). Also, they really like to see that you've explored your journalism (be it print or broadcast) interest already in highschool, whether it's working on your school newspaper or your school news show.

Hope this helps! And remember, there are a ton of schools out there that offer journalism majors...just make sure that you're genuinely interested in journalism and not just sports! :)
  • ca2009ca2009 Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    Sorry to post again, but I forgot to mention that Syracuse's Newhouse school is also well-known for helping its students find outstanding internships and jobs upon graduation.
    Probably too competitive for me and yeah I wouldn't mind doing other journalism of course. And my average is definitely going to go up this year, gonna work my butt off.
  • gettiningettinin Registered User Posts: 322 Member
    I'm surprised no one's mentioned Ball State. . .
  • gocanesgocanes Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
    Might want to look into UMiami as well. Go there and have to say their program is pretty good, especially with the strong athletic alumni connections at the school.
  • Cuse0507Cuse0507 Registered User Posts: 4,519 Senior Member
    Syracuse is probably the best for sports journalism. Loads of the people who work for ESPN now came through 'Cuse.
    Syracuse is probably the best for sports journalism. Loads of the people who work for ESPN now came through 'Cuse.

They did Communications, or Broadcasting.
This discussion has been closed.