Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Top 200 Universities in the World - Ranking by London Times

Replies to: Top 200 Universities in the World - Ranking by London Times

• rjkofnovirjkofnovi Registered User Posts: 10,345 Senior Member
    LOL barrons. I know why you love this rating. ;-)
  • ring_of_firering_of_fire Registered User Posts: 391 Member
    It just goes to show that most internationals are math and science research nerds.
  • glindawantsme17glindawantsme17 Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
    I'd like to know how CU Boulder is on there and not University of Denver or even Colorado State. DU is a MUCH better school. What the crap?
  • gd016gd016 Registered User Posts: 373 Member
    Actually ring of fire, it goes to show how research in the sciences and engineering is very important and valued on a global level. New findings in the influenza virus and development of nanoscale complex ions that will attach to the DNA sequence of tumors and inhibit the growth are valued more than "research" in the social consequences of people drinking more coffee. It's a hard truth to swallow for many.
  • quidrwmgrw416quidrwmgrw416 Registered User Posts: 86 Junior Member
    BS! what about Notre Dame? freaking anti-Catholic world...these rankings are rediculous in more ways than one, and i seriously question anyone who takes it for more worth than a grain of salt. a very small, ground-up grain of salt
    ND is trying to become a great research university. Notice I mentioned the word "trying." A great undergraduate school is not necessarily a great graduate school. The best universities of this world are great research/graduate schools and are ranked accordingly.
    Notre Dame is an exceptional and excellent school for an undergraduate college experience, but it is by no means a large-scale research university that would receive international recognition. They have very few quality graduate programs in the hard sciences nor a medical school that usually contributes a lot in a university's research. It's not a shocker that they aren't on there.
  • College YahooCollege Yahoo Registered User Posts: 198 Junior Member
    This ranking can't be taken seriously! It is downright ridiculous...

NOTE, somehow UK schools take up of 4 of the top 7???? That is a surprise!
  • CapeCodLady8CapeCodLady8 Registered User Posts: 421 Member
    GO Quakers against Tigers on Friday night....hehe :)

[*The rivalry will have its 100th game that night;
    Penn-Princeton Turns 100 Friday In Front Of National ESPNU Audience - GoPrincetonTigers.com—The Official Web Site of Princeton University Athletics ]
    yahoo,

Have you noticed US schools take up 11 of the top 15?

Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial all deserve to be where they are, few would say that is bias.
  • ironmetal250ironmetal250 - Posts: 743 Member
    >World's most highly regarded top 100 rankings.

>ARWU2008

97. Rice University WHAT
    The top rankings for colleges in the USNWR that most everyone here are so are enamored with are reserved for strong UNDERGRADUATE schools. Quite a few of these schools, Rice included, are not necessarily known for their strong graduate programs across an array of disciplines.
  • DunninLADunninLA Registered User Posts: 4,272 Senior Member
    to all those wondering why the rankings look so whack, please be reminded that the strength of the Ph.D. programs generally determines such rankings. Of course undergrad focused schools will be viewed as "partial" schools rather than complete ones.
  • DunninLADunninLA Registered User Posts: 4,272 Senior Member
    Berkeley suffers here because the publication is clearly not aware that UCSF is Berkeley's defacto Med School/Bioscience research. "a rose by any other name", etc.

I do get a weird pleasure out of seeing UCLA ahead of Berkeley though :)
    Well i suggest that UCB just rename UCSF as UCBS..F yeah, I know there is a pun in there somewhere.
This discussion has been closed.