Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Major / career with a lot of travel?

pandempandem Registered User Posts: 1,364 Senior Member
edited November 2008 in College Search & Selection
I'm trying to find a career. Something that lets me travel and live in various countries for months at a time; I like to travel and want to see the world. Any ideas?
Post edited by pandem on

Replies to: Major / career with a lot of travel?

• GiggitusMaximusGiggitusMaximus - Posts: 1,633 Senior Member
    I think I-bankers travel a lot. I could be mistaken though
  • csleslie51csleslie51 Registered User Posts: 1,172 Senior Member
    Geographers, Urban planners, nursing, teaching.
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 35,587 Super Moderator
    Military members :)
  • zfox001zfox001 Registered User Posts: 1,212 Senior Member
    International relations
    haha
    i would say that is a given....journalism can involve lots of travel and moving around.
    anything that is more service orient...like a UN career, or like World Health, Red Cross
    those kinda of careers
  • belevittbelevitt Registered User Posts: 2,005 Senior Member
    Public health. There is an incredible amount of travel involved if you work in epidemiology of emerging diseases. Also, there are opportunities for sanitation projects, sexual health education, and a myriad of other projects could take you abroad. This is also an area that would allow for domestic positions if that is where your interests take you.
  • momrathmomrath Registered User Posts: 5,866 Senior Member
    pandem, There are many, many career paths that would allow you to travel overseas or to live overseas. In fact, I can't think of many professions that don't have an international dimension should you pursue that route.

The obvious is the foreign service, but actually most government agencies have international opportunities -- like the CIA, Commerce, USAID, Treasury. Add to that the plethora of non-governmental organizations in every imaginable focus.

Business too is largely international. American companies buy and sell abroad and regularly send workers overseas to manage their businesses.

Same goes for engineers, lawyers, doctors, accountants, teachers, architects, ad writers, graphic artists, technicians of all kind. Most professions that you can hold in the US can be transported to a foreign country, but you have to have the skills and experience in order to get your foot in the door.

So my advice to you is to think about your career path first, then take that general direction and steer toward the part of the world that interests you. Language skills are a plus. Do your study abroad in that area or get a travel/study grant for independent travel.

I've worked in international business for decades and have lived abroad for nearly 20 years, so I can empathize with your interest, but I think you need to focus on what and where appeals to YOU before you take any more random suggestions.
  • hmom5hmom5 - Posts: 10,882 Senior Member
    There are opportunities at all levels.

There's certainly the foreign service track.

My DD's best friend speaks several languages and makes a great post college living living as a high end tour guide. Between salary and tips she makes six figures.

At he high end is consulting. Become a world class level expert in some aspect of business and choose your projects.
This discussion has been closed.