Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Best Schools for ADHD?

2»

Replies to: Best Schools for ADHD?

• discoursediscourse Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Landmark College:

The Students:

The students that arrive here come in three flavors from most to least prevalent:

1. Those who are Passionate and on track, recognize their full potential waiting to be tapped and the responsibility they have to themselves. They are open minded, realizing they don't have all the answers and Landmark College is the place that they can try it all and fail without becoming a failure in order to figure out their strengths and weaknesses. They go above and beyond to learn and get the most from the experience. ( A small population)

2. Those who recognize they have struggles and see the need to learn the tools and habits to overcome them to achieve success. They exert what effort is need to achieve and get by. (The average student)

3. Those who didn't do well in high school or college, admit they have a hard time in the real world, but fail to recognize the effort and responsibility they have to their success. They exert minimum effort to get by. (A small but fierce group)

Everyone is open-minded and eclectic in their own way. ADHD minds are powerful when their attention is motivated and directed towards a meaningful cause. Creativity is prevalent. Everyone shares the common bond of AD/HD and the daily struggle to succeed despite the challenge. Many interesting minds.

Campus:

The Campus is small. The schools population is 500. The town of Putney has 2,000 ppl. There is nearly nothing to do on campus. You need a car to reach a social scene: Brattleboro and Keene are the closest towns... both are fun and artsy and contain many college people. Many mountains and fresh air.

Overall Positive:

This school is specifically designed for students with ADHD/LD with average to superior intellect. The formal education doesn't foster creativity nor does it allow much room for different learning styles. This college is built for creative minds who learn differently as long as a solid understanding of the material is achieved. This school provides vast resources and accessible faculty that are helpful, encouraging and understanding. This school has the most up to date technology to help foster different learning styles. One of the world's leading learning research facilities takes place on campus. All the faculty are extremely well trained and passionate about reaching out to those who are bright but struggled with conform with the pressures of the rigid education system. They professors are accessible for one on one appointments almost every day of the week. The remote campus keeps distractions non existent- but then again if you are ADD, you will find distractions. It's just up what kid of success you want from yourself. The school pairs you up with an ad visor that meets with you once or twice every two weeks. You set goals, review progress and organize scheduling that would be most helpful in getting you to the next college. Transfer Service department works closely to find the next college and the proper fit, making sure the credits are transferable. They are personable and helpful.

If you want to do well and stay on task, finding like minded people is achievable but difficult with only 500 people. There is little to do but study. The school is overall boring. No social scene at all. The population consists of ADD kids which can be annoying at times. Sometimes classes are distracting with all the ADD kids which detracts from classroom learning because of those who cant keep focused and constantly have to be redirected.

Summary:

This is the most expensive school in the country at $50,000 a year. You get what you pay for, although sometimes you wonder if they price tag is really worth it. The school is what it is- and the only one in existence. If you want to learn skills and strategies to help you succeed, you will find them here. No one will spoon feed you. You earn everything. The staff is more than helpful and the resources are very abundant. There is minimal distractions, which is good for keeping on task, but bad if you want to get out and live a little. The credits here are transferable to many Universities. If you want to go on to a competitive college it is more than achievable with students transferring to Ivy league schools and top private colleges.
  • osucowboysosucowboys Registered User Posts: 613 Member
    Susanr64, here's a thought: do you think he would be better off in a liberal arts college, where he is probably going to get a more rounded education that will likely include some grounding in math..or at a public university where he will be able to just get his basic gen ed requirements out of the way and then focus on just the classes that interest him, like English?
  • DaddyWarBucksDaddyWarBucks Registered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
    I've also heard a lot of good things about Curry College's PAL program. Curry is in the very nice town of Milton just outside of Boston.

Here's a link with more info:
    Curry College - PAL Admissions
  • EndicottEndicott Registered User Posts: 1,435 Senior Member
    I get really annoyed when people think ADHD can be cured by changing one's diet and cutting out TV. It's fine to mention it once, I mean, it would be a beautiful thing if cutting out Kool-aid and pop tarts would fix this debilitating problem. It's a good idea to get rid of TV, video games and junk food for any kids. But for parents who already feed their kids healthy food, stash the TV in the closet, and won't let the video games cross the thresshold, it is annoying and insulting. Most parents who are serious about helping their kids have tried it all--the behavioral therapy, the dietary changes, the ADHD coaching, and yet the problem persists. Why? Because it's a neurological problem. It's a real, actual problem.
  • dancemajordancemajor Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi, I too have a daughter who will be a senior this fall...so we are starting the college search. She has ADD and LD in math. Any ideas of a college that offers support. We live in Illinois, but any location we will look into. Thanks!
  • nyquistnyquist Registered User Posts: 237 Junior Member
    nocousin wrote:
    The best environment for any ADHD or LD student is a warm, supportive, inclusive environment with excellent mentoring faculty and a student culture of helping one another. Large state institutions usually fail miserably at this. Though there may be some departments in some schools who help them. But generally a small school with those attributes works best. Some schools have excellent tutoring and mentoring facilities. Part of the problem with some ADHD kids is an academic immaturity. They simply dont see the risk of procrastination and disorganization until its too late or causes enormous stress and upheaval trying to scramble and get projects and papers done, or preparing for a major examination, resulting in panic attacks and emotional meltdowns. They normally respond to a more structured environment, not a loosy goosy choose your own lifestyle kind of environment.

The key thing is not to make their goals and objectives too large or ominous. Little steps at a time. Small accomplishments, a lot of praise, and help them to recognize traits in themselves to assist them in warding off the negative tendancies. Its a never ending job.

Keep a close watch on their self esteem so they dont develop a sense of "failure". Every human being has faults and weaknesses. ADHD kids are often very, very social and make friends easily. That is a positive thing and works well in the workforce. They just need help with organization skills and avoiding bad habits (procrastination, anxiety, distraction, not finishing projects).

Really great and useful post, nocousin.
  • SLUMOMSLUMOM Registered User Posts: 3,610 Senior Member
    Thread goes back to 2008.

Dancemajor, the Princeton Review book on Colleges for kids with Learning Disabilities is very helpful, suggest you purchase it.

MyAU Presented by Alfred University

I have a child at Alfred University (NY) only two math credits are needed to apply.
    If your SAT math score is not a certain score, you need to take Math 101 type course.

Small classes, know your professors, great academics, Division III Athletics.

Established in 1836:

Princeton Review's Best 373
    USNWR's Great Schools Great Prices
    Fiske Guide 2011
    Fiske small schools strong in engineering
    Fiske small schools strong in art & design
    Fiske Best Value

School of Engineering
    School of Art & Design
    School of Business
    College of Liberal Arts

No Greek Life, only 2300 students, a hidden gem.
  • northeastmomnortheastmom Registered User Posts: 12,379 Senior Member
    Susan, I don't know about supports, but OH has lots of small LACs. Off the top of my head I can think of Ohio Wesleyan, Hiram, Earlham (in Indiana, but close to OH), Denison, College of Wooster, Otterbein, and also close to OH (in PA) is Allegheny.
  • jkiwmomjkiwmom Registered User Posts: 1,368 Senior Member
    I am also starting to look for colleges for my bright D1 with ADD. First of all, I agree (I'm grew up and went to college in OH), Ohio State may be overwhelming for you S and professors are not as likely to be supportive of him. I would opt for a smaller LAC or smaller state school (if one exists in IL). Keep in mind, my daughter is most drawn to very liberal schools.
    Here's our list so far:
    -Earlham
    -Bard
    -Bennington
    -Marlboro
    -Warren Wilson
    -Guilford
    -Knox
    -College of Wooster

Schools that I am researching, but not yet sure how supportive:
    -Ohio Wesleyan
    -Skidmore
  • momoftwinsplus1momoftwinsplus1 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I agree with your comments, nocousin. My son, almost 18yo, with ADHD, is a Senior in high school. Interestingly, he has been reluctant to pursue getting his drivers licence given his ADHD, fearing that he will not be able to resist distraction. He has a fraternal twin who drives, who does not have ADHD, and therefore my husband and I have not pushed my son with ADHD to obtain his drivers license. He has applied to many colleges. His GPA is not stellar but he did pretty well on standardized testing. We are also trying to decide what would be the best course of action for college. My preference is that he stay nearby but if he gets into a school that is excellent for his field he may request to go out of state. There are schools which offer programs for ADHD students. I wonder if they are worth the additional expense.
  • California07California07 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    My son who is diagnosed with ADHD is now in his senior year. Do anyone knows of a university or a college that is supportive of ADHD students and where he can get a degree in Business preferably in Arizona or California. Many thanks.
2»
This discussion has been closed.