Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Where should a confused Ohioan go to school?

2»

Replies to: Where should a confused Ohioan go to school?

• mominsearchmominsearch Registered User Posts: 377 Member
    Monydad - at first OP didn't say how high his EFC was. Even if it is $100,000 that would still mean he is right in the middle at Case regarding EFC so he still may qualify for grants. Even though the sticker price at Case is around $48,000 if he got a scholarship that could almost cut it in half. Remember Case also counts books, health insurance, and a little for travel which makes the $48,000 go down if you don't need health or traveling expenses which would pretty much make it on par with in-state schools.

The point I was trying to make is that you should NEVER discount any school because of the cost. For almost half of what I would pay at OSU my kids are getting a world class education, grants to travel to Europe for one month, a trip to Germany for another month, and another 6 weeks working with a prof in another country. I doubt neither of them would have ever had the chance to get these experiences if I had been afraid of the cost. There is absolutely nothing wrong with state schools & if we hadn't been so lucky then my kids would be in a state school.
  • gettiningettinin Registered User Posts: 322 Member
    York College of PA (about 6 hours away from Columbus) might be worth looking at. YCP.edu
    They have business and engineering programs, and you might be able to get some nice merit aid there.
  • ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 21,716 Senior Member
    Consulation- is it really that bad to want a girlfriend at college? I really want a wife and kids when I am middle-aged, not a Posche that I call "Betty" (although that would be nice to have in addition to the wife and kids, too).

No, it is not a bad thing to want a girlfriend. Nor is it a bad thing to want a wife and kids.

It IS a bad thing to make insulting sexist generalizations about women.

You are a fool if you think that appearance is everything. You are a bigger fool if you think that intelligent women interested in math and science are unattractive and make poor companions.

What your statement tells me is that your idea of "attractive" is probably the kind of girl who devotes an inordinate amount of her time to grooming herself in order to appear attractive to foolish boys. It also tells me that you are afraid of women who are your intellectual peers or--gasp!--superiors.

Continue in this mindset, and you may find yourself supporting some elbow ornament who will only hang around until she can land a better financial opportunity.

What do YOU have to offer a young woman who possesses reasonable brains and a good heart?
  • monydadmonydad Registered User Posts: 7,486 Senior Member
    "Monydad - at first OP didn't say how high his EFC was."

No, but he said it was high in post #1. I inferred from that that his family would not be at the income level where lots of need-based aid was very likely.
  • OHKIDOHKID Registered User Posts: 1,255 Senior Member
    Completely agreed with your second post, consulation. I didn't reaize that my first comment on the subject came off like that.

However, I said that because I visited a well-respected and known tech school that is often mentioned on these boards, and I saw almost no women, and the women that I did see honestly looked like lesbians or like they have severe emotional problems (emo). The school I am talking about has a student body in which 70% of students are autistic in some form, and that is not a social atmosphere that I want.

Still, it IS completely unaccpetable to only judge women by outward appearence, and you can rest assured that my main focus is inner beauty and common interests. My common interests, however, do not cross paths with women at the tech school that I visited.
  • MillancadMillancad Registered User Posts: 5,941 Senior Member
    I wanted to go to college WITHIN 7 hours of Columbus, so that I will only be living within a day's drive of home. To give you guys an idea of the range that I am talking about, Washington DC, Cornell University, St. Louis, Atlanta, Milwaukee, Toronto, and Mackinaw City, Michigan are all at the outermost points on this circle. So, anything within these boundaries would be great. Thanks!

I do the drive from Cincinnati to DC all the time and it is definitely not 7 hours. More like 9-10. If you fly, it's only like an hour and 5 minutes. But If you are looking at DC, you might want to consider George Washington University (not the same thing as Georgetown. I always get confused). Howard is a pretty good school in DC too, but it is historically black and I don't know your race.

Anyway, a lot of kids at my Ohio high school go to OSU, which is, as you probably know, huge. UofM is pretty big too. If you aren't, as a possible OSU fan, categorically opposed to UofM, it is a really good school and not too big.

For reaches, maybe Oberlin in Ohio. It's a really great LAC. I know a bunch of people that go there and right now they have about two months off to learn whatever they want to. It's really amazing. Oberlin also has a huge art collection. Maybe WashU in St. Louis as another reach.

Case Western is a very good school, but its math and science oriented and has a sizable gender imbalance. It's mostly male.
  • monydadmonydad Registered User Posts: 7,486 Senior Member
    Oberlin is indeed a wonderful school, though it offers neither business nor engineering, which are the 2 fields OP cited as of particular interest.
    Millincad - Case does have more males than females, but they have been working hard balancing the two out. I think it is around 45% female to 55% males currently or maybe even better than that now.

I agree - Oberlin is a great school but not known for engineering or business. Miami U is known for business, but I am not sure that it offers engineering either.
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 34,398 Super Moderator
    Mominsearch, I just wanted to add something in your discussion with Monydad. The OP said his EFC is $100k, not his family income. Big difference. Someone with a family income of $100k could qualify for some need based aid. Noone with an EFC that high.
    Erin's Dad - I stand corrected (was at work not paying as much attention as I should have been). However, he could still get a merit scholarship & still pay less than you would at a state school:)
  • ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 21,716 Senior Member
    Well, OHKID, Cornell would be within your 7-hour limit, it's an excellent school with broad programs, and I happen to know no fewer than 3 outstandingly good-looking--honestly! :)-- and smart girls who started there this year. All of whom are planning to major in a science. ;)

I'm thinking that if Cornell is close enough, so is the University of Rochester. I know Rochester has excellent programs in engineering, the sciences, and the humanities, but I don't know about business. If economics undergrad with an MBA were a possibility, it would be excellent.

BTW, I'm impressed by the calm way you reacted to my yelling at you. Obviously there's hope for you after all! :D
  • people40people40 Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
    Ohio State- Good engineering, good buisness, short drive, gives pretty good merit aid.
    Case Western also gives merit aid and has a good reputation.

U of M gives awful aid to out of state students and few to no opportunities to make up for this with merit based scholarships.
  • BushD403BushD403 Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    Im from Ohio too and if your looking at business, hot girls, and cheap (in state) i would definitely look at Miami University. their business program is ranked in the top 20.
2»
This discussion has been closed.