Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Cal Poly Pomona VS Mt. Sac for undergrad?

hellomynameihellomynamei Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
edited February 2009 in College Search & Selection
My top two choices right now are Cal Poly and Mt. Sac since they are the closest to where I live. I already know my major, which is pharmacy. I'm leaning towards Mt. Sac and joining the honors program right now but still very uncertain.

If you guys could tell me the pros and cons for Cal Poly VS Mt. Sac please help me out. Topics I'd like information on is :
-transferring from Cal Poly to a UC school vs from Mt. Sac to a UC school (which one would give me more of a chance)
-the type of education
-difficulty of courses
-etc.

I'd be very greatful if you guys could help me out. Please and thank you :D
Post edited by hellomynamei on

Replies to: Cal Poly Pomona VS Mt. Sac for undergrad?

• bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 24,400 Senior Member
    UCs give priority to community college transfers, so that is a big consideration, particularly if you are accepted into the honors program. Any college will do the basic sciences well enough for you to apply to pharm school. In general, a community college is not gonna be as rigorous as a four year college.

Might I also suggest you check out Univ of Pacific, which has a Pharm school?
  • vballmomvballmom Registered User Posts: 3,135
    I had to google Mt. Sac to find out what you were talking about - some of us from Norcal obviously need to get with the program ;)

So your choice is Mt. San Antonio Community College vs Cal Poly Pomona, with your ultimate destination a UC? Does Mt. Sac have a transfer admission agreement with any of the UCs?

I've heard anecdotally that it's more difficult to transfer to a UC from a Cal State vs a community college, but that's something you should probably look into. If Cal Poly has a pre-pharmacy track in their science dept, that would probably be your best bet.

I second bluebayou's suggestion of checking out University of the Pacific, unless you absolutely have to live at home.
  • hellomynameihellomynamei Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Thank:D. i've been considering Univ of Pacific as a transfer but i have to look into it more.
This discussion has been closed.