Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Which one of these liberal arts colleges has the best need financial aid packages?

mcvcm92mcvcm92 Registered User Posts: 1,192 Senior Member
edited February 2009 in College Search & Selection
I went on all of these colleges websites and on most of them, I cannot seem to find the average need based financial aid package (solely made up of grants and scholarships). Can you give me links or numbers to tell me this much needed info? Thanks!
Post edited by mcvcm92 on

Replies to: Which one of these liberal arts colleges has the best need financial aid packages?

• pierre0913pierre0913 Registered User Posts: 7,652 Senior Member
    I have a book that tells me what the average need-based financial aid package is

what school's would you like this information for?
  • mcvcm92mcvcm92 Registered User Posts: 1,192 Senior Member
    Haha I'm so silly, I forgot to write down the names, here they are:

Middlebury
    Haverford
    Swarthmore
    Colgate
    Hamilton

Thanks =)
  • pierre0913pierre0913 Registered User Posts: 7,652 Senior Member
    Middlebury: Average Aid Package: $32,940 (45% of undergrads determined to have financial need)

Haverford: $29,072 (45%)

Swarthmore: $31,553 (48%)

Colgate: $34,659 (34%)

Hamilton: $31,003 (48%)
  • jarsilverjarsilver Registered User Posts: 511 Member
    I could be wrong, but I believe Swarthmore is the only one of those that uses only grants and no loans.
    Thank you pierre! And jarsilver... I know that most include loans, but I just plan on checking off the grants/scholarships and ignoring the loans. And most of the loans are less than 5000 dollars, so I am kind of estimating here.
  • vonlostvonlost Super Moderator Posts: 23,694 Super Moderator
    These aid numbers can be found for most schools by googling their "Common Data Set" and looking at Section H2, line j. The loan data is there, too.
    Wow thanks a lot! That is EXACTLY what I am looking for!
  • ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 21,635 Senior Member
    If you are looking for LACs with good FA, try Pomona, Williams, and Amherst, possibly Bowdoin also.
  • minimini Registered User Posts: 26,431 Senior Member
    Average size of package may also reflect the fact, in some cases, that fewer students are receiving any package at all.

My d. received a significantly better package at Smith than at Williams. I don't know if that is typical - it is just one data point.
  • interesteddadinteresteddad Registered User Posts: 24,177 Senior Member
    In this case, the average aid package is the average for "aided" students only. So the number receiving aid wouldn't impact that number.

Loans are included as part of the aid package. So $30k with $4k in loans is not as good a package as $30k with no loans.

Need based aid is so highly dependent on your personal situation that it is almost ridiculous to say that "this college" or "that college" will give YOU the best package.

Of the five schools you mention, Swarthmore's per student endowment dwarfs the others, which is why they are need-blind, 100% of need, and loan-free.
  • golacsgolacs Registered User Posts: 62 Junior Member
    Data from one of my friends (class of 2012):

EFC: $11,000

School Grants (load not counted)

Amherst $36,000
    Smith $40,000
    Wellesley $37,000

All schools have the similar cost (about $51,000). Smith is very generous if you are top student
    Thanks everyone! All of your information has been very helpful (but I know that I am not at the Amherst/Williams/Smith caliber) but thankss
  • aaron981aaron981 Registered User Posts: 192 Junior Member
    I know it's not on your list, but Davidson is a comparable school with the exception of having better weather! Anyways, they do not use loans as part of their packages..all grants.
  • kwukwu Registered User Posts: 4,759 Senior Member
    My data:

EFC: 7,700

Midd: 27,000 + 1,500 loans
    Ford: 33,000 (!) + 4,000 Federal Work Study
    Amherst: 27,000 + 1,600 Federal Work Study
  • ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 21,635 Senior Member
    ^^ This isn't "data' unless you have actually gotten these offers from the schools in question.
This discussion has been closed.