Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Georgetown vs WashU vs Cornell vs McGill

13»

Replies to: Georgetown vs WashU vs Cornell vs McGill

• KellybaltazarusKellybaltazarus Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I was accepted to McGill and waitlisted at Georgetown and johns Hopkins. I'm waiting to hear back still. But I wanted to emphasize the fact that mcgill is a school that only accepts SMART people, which is something American schools don't necessarily do. American schools play politics, look at race, money, everything is done under the table with quick, furtive gestures. At mcgill, it's the opposite- in fact, the application doesn't even ask about race!!! And that makes it the least biased, least politically b.s. Of all the schools.

Still you will get an amazing education at any of those places should you want it. Mcgill is harder to do well in than the US schools, and JUST BECAUSE Americans always exhibit this stupid Freudian tendency towards belittling Canada since the former always has to inflate it's grossly disproportionate ego... Well.. Yeah. anyone saying mcgill doesn't have much of a "reputation" is clearly victim to Freudian tendencies... And thus who cares what they think, you could work in France with a degree from McGill and be much more impressive than some random Georgetown grad (even though Georgetown is awesome).

So don't give up mcgill just because other people are blind, and someone mentioned people in the south and west not thinking much of mcgill and in response to that: the south once enslaved people, and thus clearly enjoys making itself feel better be crushing another entity and robbing it of its free will in order to feel superior. Well, it's not robbing mcgill of it's free will but why work in the south anyways then? Going to mcgill is a bit of a metaphysical breakthrough in my opinion and will make a person stronger than any other school. Classes are huge there, unlike Georgetown, which has smaller, more intimate classes. Huge classes = less attention from the professor= feelings of insignifigance. Those feelings probably cause one to feel his or her comments don't matter in the class. However, it also builds a sense of self purpose that gtown may not. Gtown gives you nurture, mcgill gives you tough times. It depends what you want to go through, and how you want to deal with your college experience, but all four of those schools are EQUALLY GOOD in my opinion, it just depends what you want to face!
    Muwah!
  • Ray192Ray192 Registered User Posts: 2,019 Senior Member
    McGill only accepts SMART people?

Really?
  • bruno123bruno123 Registered User Posts: 1,390 Senior Member
    I can't comment on the claim that McGill "only accepts smart people", but I agree with the opinion that McGill is better known internationally (in Europe for example) than Georgetown.
  • 000ace000000ace000 Registered User Posts: 511 Member
    I think he means that McGill's admission is based purely on academic merit.
13»
This discussion has been closed.